Let's clean up shit, shall we?

[RSS]
Author: Cybervantyz
Date: Aug 22, 2016 12:30 PM
Category: Dev Lounge
I propose to delete dead games that received no updates (of any kind) in 24 (or maybe 48) hours.
Let's not be slowpokes, right? If we came here - we want to play. If we want to play, we want to play fast.
Going on vacation? Fine. Either game will be deleted or you will be kicked. You will be able to re-join on your return.
I guess that no one do enjoy to see a whole bunch of inactive shit when he comes here, so let's clean the shit up, shall we?
Or maybe for everyone else it is pretty normal to see something like "my test game with dad" in "replacement needed" section, when a) no replacement is actually needed in this game and b) the game is actually dead for a half-year for now or even more. That dead shit should be deleted without questions and excuses.

I can even propose some help both with manual administering and PHP programming if it is needed, as I am programmer actually.
I'm interested and excited to build kinda really good PBW service rather than what we have now. What will you say, PBW masters?

Replies

Commenter: ekolis
Date: Aug 22, 2016 1:16 PM
48 hours? A lot of people want to play slow paced games. I do agree that there are a lot of dead games though. Fyron supposedly gives 6 months, but in practice the games never get deleted... 6 months is a bit generous, but 48 hours is too short!
Commenter: Cybervantyz
Date: Aug 22, 2016 1:29 PM
It can be individual for each game, actually.
We can delete games that received no updates in their time limits for 1 turn.
We can automatically kick out slackers and force turn to pass.
We can add a "pause" option to the game, so people can take a break if they wish so, but pause must be limited in duration (in, say, 1 week), and if players did not returned to the game after pause is expired, we should either kick out slackers or delete this dead game completely of no one has returned.

There are a lot of options. Let's discuss what would be best for everyone and get it done - that's all I propose. But we need to do something to improve the service - that for sure.

But the possibility of improvements depends on if PBW admins are actually willing to do something or they are o.k. with what they have now. Awaiting for them to respond.
Commenter: Fyron
Date: Aug 23, 2016 11:18 AM
Handling inactive players in a game is the sole purview of the game host. It would be wildly inappropriate for the site to start kicking players from games automatically. The site software has no way of knowing why a player missed a turn or three. Setting a game turn processing to "fully automatic" or "timed turns", and using an autohost, already has the effect of keeping games moving when players do not upload their turn file.

We do periodically mark games for deletion that have been inactive for 4+ months, and then allow the game host some time to resume the game if they so choose. A further period of inactivity gets them deleted. This is a manual process because it involves some judgement on whether a game is truly dead, or held up for actual stated reasons on the discussion threads. Doing this after only a day or a week for a slow-paced play by email experience would be a bit hasty.
Commenter: Cybervantyz
Date: Aug 24, 2016 2:15 PM
Forget it. Looks like no one gives a fuck
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Aug 28, 2016 8:49 PM
Patience. I know it can be frustrating at times. Ten years ago it was much easier to find a game you like, but there are fewer players these days, so it can be tough. It may take some time to find a like-minded group, but it can eventually be done.
Commenter: Skyburn
Date: Aug 28, 2016 9:46 PM
Aren't inactive games also hidden on the games list so you can't see or join them?
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Nov 29, 2016 4:19 PM
@ Cybervantyz - I'd say it less a matter that "no one gives a fuck", and more a matter of YOU being impatient and lacking an understanding of what other players may be doing or dealing with.

Rightly so Fyron is dead-on correct - Handling inactive players in a game is SOLELY the purview of that game's Host. It would be wildly inappropriate for the site to start kicking players from games automatically simply to appease impatient and uninformed players.