Feedback thread

[RSS]
Author: ekolis
Date: Dec 8, 2016 10:54 AM
Category: NewMod Beta
Yay! :P

So the construction abilities on my "launch platform" facility don't explicitly specify the resource used; they just have cryptic "1 = minerals" etc. messages...

A few tech levels have a max level of zero, so I can't even research them???

I noticed various spelling mistakes that I'm not going to list here, but if you create that bitbucket repo, I'll be glad to fix them myself! ;) Not sure if that will break the savegame or if techs are referenced by index rather than by name...

The battery mount seems a bit odd; I'd expect it to be more dramatic in effect - say, similar to a "large mount" in stock? Then again, the broadside mount does that? It would be nice if it could increase the fire rate, but maybe I could at least add that to FrEee... ;)

The basic bridge gives an attack/defense *penalty*? So when it's destroyed, your guns get more accurate? ;) How about you reduce the basic accuracy modifier in Settings.txt instead?

I really like the diversity of components even for basic CNC operations; these are some interesting choices to make!

Oh hey, you used my battery graphic from the imagemod for your capacitors! I remember that! Making graphics is kind of fun, and I'd like to make more for FrEee, but it's tedious to make so many of them...

Why can't I apply the Salvaged Rounds mount to 25mm guns? I can apply it to 100mm guns, and I can apply other mounts to the 25mm guns.

Also, why do the larger guns use the same amount of supply as the smaller ones?

Torpedo launchers are completely useless; they seem to have a range of zero and thus can't do any damage!

Are there no spaceyard components in this mod? Or do they require some sort of research?

Replies

< Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >
Commenter: gozguyse5
Date: Dec 8, 2016 11:54 AM
Feedback thread
I could not build a colonizer first turn. the bridge component would not work.
Commenter: bearclaw
Date: Dec 8, 2016 12:26 PM
Feedback thread
Colony modules have a bridge built into them
Date: Dec 8, 2016 12:32 PM
Feedback thread
@ed: Because of the automated excel sheet I created, I had to simplify many ability descriptions. SY abilities are the most noticeable.

Techs with zero levels dont give anything... Yet.

Any changes to tech areas will have NO effect to a game already in progress. The TechArea.txt file is only referenced at game creation.

Bridge:attack/defense - good idea.

Salvaged rounds: Most likely that's something I just missed. They should be allowed.

There are spaceyard components. Several in fact but they must be unlocked. For the lost part, orbital construction is better than planet construction.
Commenter: berendtium111
Date: Dec 8, 2016 3:14 PM
Feedback thread
I have the sector grid option turned on but the grid does not show up. I turned it off and on again to see if it would make a difference but it didn't.
Date: Dec 8, 2016 3:55 PM
Feedback thread
Wow, that's a new one. Never heard of that ever happening before...

I'll test when I get home and see what's up.
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Dec 9, 2016 1:29 PM
Feedback thread
Why's there a 163mm gun? That's a rather... weird number, and not much over 150mm... then nothing in between 25mm and 100mm?

I think the deep bore strip mines and any related facilities need to be rebalanced in the same way as the cities in DN4. Too cheap for being able to cram so many of them on a planet!

Why are colonizers so dang cheap?! ;)
Date: Dec 9, 2016 7:14 PM
Feedback thread
Odd numbered weapons (projectile and energy weapons) are for bases and weapon platform's.

Even numbered weapons are for everything else.

Facilities: Suggestions?

Colony ships: No solid reason. Since I built everything for this mod from zero, some things are simply arbitrary.
Date: Dec 9, 2016 8:33 PM
Feedback thread
Hmm... The larger guns seem a bit underpowered given their greater size and cost.

Why is there a "Weapons - Projectile A" component category? Why not put those weapons in "Weapons - Projectile"? Also "Control Systems" might be a better spelling for "Control System", since there's also "Power Systems". And a few techs need to be capitalized...

These trivial little typos I could easily fix and share with you with that bitbucket repo ;)
Date: Dec 9, 2016 8:37 PM
Feedback thread
Oh, suggestions for rebalancing cheap/expensive facilities... Well, it would make sense that the ratio of cost be greater than the ratio of productivity, since you should have to pay a premium for being able to get more output out of the same colony. I'd say maybe 2x productivity for 4x cost might be a good starting point.
Date: Dec 9, 2016 11:48 PM
Feedback thread
There are a bunch of weapons at higher levels and I found in my tests that being able to sort by categories was helpful.

Typos: good stuff
I created a bitbucket but am still figuring out what is what.

Guns: also good input. That's what I created the game for 😀
Commenter: berendtium111
Date: Dec 10, 2016 5:55 PM
Feedback thread
Are units available? I cannot find mines in the Data files.
Date: Dec 10, 2016 6:06 PM
Feedback thread
Oh... You know what.... I completely forgot to make mine hulls when I did units!

Damnit.

As for facilities', I have a base value for each facility. For convenience, the base value of almost all facilities is the same (1000/500/500) so adjusting for more advanced ones is easy to do.
Date: Dec 13, 2016 8:45 PM
Feedback thread
Yeah, these gun sizes are horribly imbalanced. There's nothing between 25mm and 100mm, and yet the latter is barely any better than the former, as is 150mm. And the 200mm mount seems to be off by a factor of 10... same for the base versions I think.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Dec 13, 2016 8:45 PM.
Date: Dec 14, 2016 12:48 AM
Feedback thread
Suggestions please. I would love to have a good discussion with others on possible solutions. I admit that most weapon options are completely arbitrary on my part.
Commenter: TheCulture
Date: Dec 14, 2016 6:41 AM
Feedback thread
I am going to reserve judgement until I start climbing the tech trees. However, at first sight we do seem to have a large number of very similar looking weapon sizes each time we ascend one level in the tech tree. At the very least this might lead to a lot of retro-fitting. Not sure yet what it adds to the game. By the way I love the rotating ship cursor. :-)
Andy
Edited 2 time(s). Lasted edited Dec 14, 2016 6:42 AM.
Date: Dec 14, 2016 6:26 PM
Feedback thread
Carrier Battles has weapon *mounts* of different sizes; perhaps look to that mod for inspiration? Don't need to make them mounts instead of separate components, I'm just talking about the numbers.
Date: Dec 14, 2016 6:31 PM
Feedback thread
Good call. I'll do that
Commenter: IronWarrior
Date: Dec 15, 2016 4:56 PM
Feedback thread
There appear to be certain research areas that don't get any results; I just researched Astronomy, I think, but when I looked at the resulting tech area Selenology it was already completed. Don't know if that's intentional and I'm just totally clueless, but I thought I'd ask.
Date: Dec 15, 2016 8:19 PM
Feedback thread
Yes, there are several that don't give anything (hence zero levels).

I left a LOT of room for expansion and ideas. In fact, I would LOVE suggestions from people.
Date: Dec 17, 2016 9:30 AM
Feedback thread
The Induced Fracture Mine has an ability description saying that it "improves" planetary conditions by a negative amount. I wonder if you could put an "if" statement in your spreadsheet so it says it "degrades" them by a positive amount?

Also, I might be mistaken, but could this mine have higher tech requirements than the (pretty much superior) Deep Bore Strip Mine?
Date: Dec 17, 2016 12:39 PM
Feedback thread
Totally possible. Because of the myriad tech areas, I'm sure there are a lot of research inconsistencies.

I'm trying to find time to create a tech tree (a la: Civilization) so that others can see the progression like I can.

If anyone wants a copy of the Excel sheet I created to build the mod, send me an email and ill send a copy.
Date: Dec 17, 2016 4:29 PM
Feedback thread
If you load the mod into FrEee, you'll get a tech browser accessible from the research screen. It's not exactly a "tree", but it lets you navigate the unlocks and prerequisites of each tech.
Date: Dec 18, 2016 1:43 AM
Feedback thread
FrEee doesn't support changes to the planet sizes. Can't use the planet Type sizes that I've created for NewMod. That sucks.
Commenter: TheCulture
Date: Dec 18, 2016 5:28 AM
Feedback thread
Having researched Biology I have unlocked a Biology Lab and a Biology Lab (the 2nd one looks more like a fortress city than a Lab). I think one must be mis-named?
Unless it is just a duplicate with a different picture, as only one appears in my build options... odd that one cost around 1k yet the other cost 5k... ?
Andy
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Dec 18, 2016 5:38 AM.
Date: Dec 18, 2016 12:26 PM
Feedback thread
One is a facility, the other is a Base-Only component.
You'll find the same thing for Physics Labs, Geology Labs and possibly a couple others.
Date: Dec 19, 2016 11:52 AM
Feedback thread
Are there no ruins in this mod or have I just been unlucky? I'm spoiled by the constant ruins in Dark Nova! ;)
Commenter: IronWarrior
Date: Dec 19, 2016 8:08 PM
Feedback thread
The weapons at the early stage seem way overpowered to me; with the guns we get at the start you can blow up a class 1 hull in one shot. That means that for a while, combat is basically decided by who shoots first. Perhaps you could introduce a really low powered weapon to start with, like a Gatling gun or something, or maybe even none at all. Just a thought!
Date: Dec 19, 2016 9:05 PM
Feedback thread
Very very rare to find any ruins.

Weapons: That's EXCELLENT feedback! Weapons need a good reworking. Most of the details for weapons are basically arbitrary choices on my part.
Date: Dec 19, 2016 9:23 PM
Feedback thread
ohhhhh.....
alright so I started to take a look at the weapons to see what the heck is going on and realized that I goofed up something really badly...

At starting level, low level guns should do 4-8 damage, not 78. I have a pretty major bug in the Excel sheet I created that affects weapon damages rather.... critically.

This is now a priority fix for me. Expect that I'll have a new components.txt file for everyone for the coming turn.
< Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >