We need a new Space Empires discussion forum

[RSS]
Author: ekolis
Date: Feb 2, 2016 10:43 AM
Category: Spaceport
Fyron, SEnet login isn't coming back anytime soon, is it? It occurred to me that apart from SEnet, there really was never any decent community forum. Sure, we have PBW and the Steam forums, but neither is really all that conducive to the kinds of discussions we had at SEnet, primarily because there aren't enough subforums.

If SEnet's forums aren't coming back, anyone up for hosting a new one?

Replies

< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Feb 4, 2016 1:56 AM
I have a minimal set-up in place, as a fail-safe against future PBW crashes. It MIGHT be a good starting point.
Commenter: Fyron
Date: Feb 4, 2016 10:37 AM
I'm working on a replacement for PHP nuke.
Commenter: DXM
Date: Feb 5, 2016 1:33 PM
Uh... http://www.slash-addict.net/forums/
That's the whole reason I made forums for SE4, Starfury & SE5.
If you want sub-forums, I can make them. Just say the word!
Commenter: Gurachn
Date: Mar 1, 2016 10:22 PM
Been away from SE for a while, but with Kwok working on a new version of BM, I feel like getting back into the Stars.But in any case we need a home to share ideas and help with piloting.

I fear without that (or similar) forum the community will fade to obscurity. That would be a shame as I feel that there is still some fun and functionality to be squeezed out of this old game.
Great if you can get the .net up and running again, Fyron, otherwise we need an alternative.

Kwok is mainly using the Steam forums, but if you don't have a steam account with some credits, you cant post there.
They also don't have a file server, and I am thinking to finally upload a few revised shipsets (e.g. Terran empire) and a few other graphic and UI tweaks.

I suspect a lot of the old guard have been scouring the net looking for a replacement site.
If you build it, they will come...
Commenter: Grue
Date: Mar 2, 2016 12:18 AM
I completely agree with Gurachn. One of my biggest concerns is that without SE.net around anymore the SE community will slowly fade out of existence.
Date: Mar 6, 2016 8:31 PM
So what's the plan?
Fyron, how is your 'PHP nuke'replacement coming? Getting the .net up again would be the best option.
Possible eta on that?

If its going to be a while, then perhaps DXM's site could be a good alternative.

I'm afraid if we wait to long the community will become too splintered.
Date: Mar 9, 2016 2:01 PM
Yeah, the loss of SE.net is a HUGE one to the SE community. It more than anything has held the community together and even encouraged future growth and development of mods and the like. Without it, the few new mods that come about have a limited exposure to players at best, and possibly none at all at worst.
Date: Mar 10, 2016 10:34 PM
Well there seems to be a general consensus that it would be good to get the forum established again, but there doesn't seem to me much movement towards that.
Personally, I would be very happy if Fyron could find a suitable solution to his PHP woes, and get the .net up and running again.
Any word on that, Fyron?

In the meantime, I have just recently discovered that DXM has a huge stockpile of models and has kindly agreed to share!
I'm in the process of spicing up some of the shipsets I was working on before, including the ST mirror universe that I started a few years ago. Thanks to DXM I now have a period consistent Frigate, the ISS Beria.
I would be very keen on any feedback or ideas.
http://www.slash-addict.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4&p=24#p24
Commenter: marhawkman
Date: Mar 11, 2016 12:37 PM
Any forum will be a great help to reorganizing the community.
Date: Mar 12, 2016 9:16 PM
Nothing wrong with using these forums in the mean-time. I've added a friendly red box directing people here...
Commenter: Skyburn
Date: Mar 13, 2016 6:07 PM
We can always start building our own "shipyards" websites like before, too. I wonder if any of them are still floating around.

Considering the post volume the past few years, I tend to think there's no rush to make a successor.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Mar 13, 2016 6:08 PM.
Date: Mar 14, 2016 1:23 AM
Can we post screenshots here?
Very useful for introducing new shipsets and such.

Can we upload files?
Date: Mar 14, 2016 8:14 AM
You can't upload files or display screenshots here on PBW, you'd have to use a file sharing site to upload files or screenshots and put the link here.
Commenter: marhawkman
Date: Mar 14, 2016 11:20 AM
as low as the post volume was, I don't think making it even worse is an improvement.
Date: Mar 14, 2016 11:41 PM
Yeah, I suppose we can adapt.
Fyron was kind enough to maintain the .net for so long, that it was easy to take for granted what a great and full featured home it was!
Its unfortunate to lose some of the functionality here, but beggars can't be choosers, and we still have to thank Fyron for providing.

Still, it does feel a bit of a temporary fix...
Date: Mar 15, 2016 2:54 AM
Kinda getting the impression here there's no real fix anywhere in sight, and not a lot of ambition to get one going. With talk like there's no rush to make a successor, you can't do this or that, or this place will do instead.

Is the elephant in the corner that SE.net is gone and done for, and no one has been willing to come out and actually say so yet?
Date: Mar 15, 2016 10:46 AM
No.
Date: Mar 15, 2016 2:47 PM
I think that Fyron has been clear that he's working on a solution. How long it will take, and what it will really look like is what we're waiting for.

OT, the read me for SE4 facilities pack says Fyron extracted images from Rise of Nations & Galactic Civilizations.
So, Fyron, were those 3d models in those games or only 2d pics?
Commenter: CaptainKwok
Date: Mar 15, 2016 9:30 PM
Glad to see SE.net is returning! Our involvement in this game has been almost 16 years?
Date: Mar 15, 2016 11:30 PM
"OT, the read me for SE4 facilities pack says Fyron extracted images from Rise of Nations & Galactic Civilizations.
So, Fyron, were those 3d models in those games or only 2d pics?"

They were 2d portraits. GC had no 3d renderings of buildings. Not sure if RoN was sprite based or had 3d models, but it had nice 2f portraits available.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Mar 16, 2016 1:33 AM.
Date: Mar 16, 2016 12:22 AM
Hehe, glad to see Kwok is returning!
Heard you had a bit of bother with your SE computer. All sorted now? Xiati back on the warpath?
Can we expect 1.20 gamma in the foreseeable future?

I like the way that one is shaping up. and would be glad to help you test it and work out the bugs. Especially keen on looking at ai behavior and tweaking the ai scripts.

Fyron, if we start using this as a general forum, it might start getting a bit messy and confusing, especially for people coming here mainly for PBW stuff.
If SE.net is likely to be down for a while, perhaps some sub forums here could help keep things a bit more tidy and focused?
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Mar 16, 2016 12:23 AM.
Commenter: Makinus
Date: Mar 17, 2016 10:01 AM
Good - i really miss a dedicated forum to Space Empires..... i still play SEIV every other day....
Commenter: ModTooHardToInstall
Date: Dec 24, 2016 12:02 PM
maybe "spacebattles.com" would work? Also it would make a few more people discover the game.
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Dec 28, 2016 8:09 PM
How would we get our own forums there?
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Dec 29, 2016 9:43 AM
Given the number of voices here, my own thought is instead of trying for consensus on what to do, that anyone who wants to do so, should proceed on their own site. Dedicated as he's been, I do suspect that Fyron has a life outside of Space Empires.

It's also a mistake to try to be everything to all players, and it's been proven more than once that no system is failsafe. Better go about improving the links between chosen sites, and let the community (or committee) decide each on its own merit. I don't advocate it now, but didn't Shrapnel serve as a jumping-off point in the early days? Perhaps this site could post some links.
Date: Dec 30, 2016 3:40 PM
At the risk of merely repeating myself... I'd like to remind everybody that my forums are open for use:
http://www.slash-addict.net/forums/
Custom forums or sub-forums are available upon request.
Just like the 'fan projects' section I setup after ekolis asked for them! (though, he hasn't used them so far!) *nudge, nudge*

I'll also renew my request that somebody with a Steam account make a post or two at their SE forums, to let folks there know about my forums.

And maybe the PBW forum, too...as well as pointing out to them that they cannot use an account if they set it up on SE.net proper. In case none of you noticed, people are still signing up at SE.net - the 'our newest user' continues to change whenever somebody signs up. Even after Fyron put up his big red banner telling everybody that only PBW works!
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Dec 31, 2016 1:50 PM
Oh, don't we have a subreddit already? Maybe we need to make that a bit more active?

https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceempires/

And one for FrEee:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freee

Maybe we could make one for THANCS as well?

I don't think you're allowed to advertise things on the Steam forums, which makes it kind of hard to hook up with folks... :( Though I suppose you might be able to get away with telling folks to Google "space empires forums"? :P

As for your forums... I guess no one's been using them because hardly anyone knows about they yet? :P
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Dec 31, 2016 1:54 PM.
Date: Dec 31, 2016 2:22 PM
Wow, I forgot about the reddit forum.
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Dec 31, 2016 9:26 PM
I just checked out the last three links posted in this thread. They're not very active. I didn't look very deep, but Ed and DXM account for most of the posts I saw. Nicholas Bostaph used to have a website that actually hosted a few games, but I don't quite remember its name. I'll see if it's still there.

Okay. I just did a bit of nosing. I think what I remember was on his nightscape creations website, but it doesn't seem to be there now. I didn't find it anywhere else associated with his name either.

Of course there's still spaceempires.net. But I'd say what's left of the SE community is mostly here.
Edited 2 time(s). Lasted edited Dec 31, 2016 9:43 PM.
< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >