Balance Mod v1.20γ Available!

[RSS]
Author: CaptainKwok
Date: Apr 3, 2016 8:45 AM
Category: Spaceport
I've posted the Balance Mod v1.20 gamma for download. Besides the usual bug fixes and a few minor changes, there's a new AI performance analysis routine. AI players will now evaluate their overall performance every 10 turns to see what progress they are making. If they are doing poorly, they'll adjust their overall empire and design strategies to shake things up. If they are doing well, they might just become more aggressive versus a rival etc.

You can download the Gamma here:
http://www.captainkwok.net/balancemod.php

You can continue existing games, but it may take AI empires some time to benefit from the changes.

Please note any unusual AI designs or those using older obsolete weapons when they have more advanced ones.

Replies

Commenter: Gurachn
Date: Apr 4, 2016 1:01 AM
Nice!
Does this include the size changes to the drones?
Commenter: CaptainKwok
Date: Apr 4, 2016 6:54 AM
That's a save game buster so that won't be in the v1.20 release unless for some crazy reason I need to break savegames to fix a serious bug.
Date: Apr 7, 2016 11:27 PM
There's been a report of a persistent range check error during end turn processing, let me know if any of guys encounter such an error.
Commenter: Milleniumlance
Date: Apr 8, 2016 1:18 AM
yup, its random sometimes though, wehn clicking on minimap or a uncolonized planet
Commenter: R-TEAM
Date: Apr 12, 2016 8:19 AM
Hi,

nice to see new versions :)
btw. i use FQM15beta - it is ATM possible to merge BM20 with FQM or is this ATM not possible, as i have seen, many changes ....

Regards
Date: Apr 12, 2016 8:21 PM
It would involve a lot of editing to merge the two together with the change to the system size. Fyron used to have a Python script that could generate the file manually. That might help if the script pops up somewhere.
Date: Apr 17, 2016 12:36 AM
If you've had persistent range check errors, then edit BM's Settings.txt file, in the data folder, and change "Can See Ship From Memory" and "Can See Unit Group From Memory" to FALSE. It's helped a few people so far.
Commenter: Milleniumlance
Date: Apr 20, 2016 4:07 PM
10 turns into a new game, no crashes with the changes THX
Date: Apr 20, 2016 10:47 PM
I've updated the .zip/.rar gamma downloads on my site with the corrected Settings.txt file. You can also grab it directly here: http://www.captainkwok.net/files/Settings.zip ; Extract to your BM v120 data folder!
Commenter: Gurachn
Date: Apr 21, 2016 2:39 AM
Is this an essential change if you aren't having the errors?

I thought the "...see from memory" lines allowed the ai to 'remember' things like heavily defended WPs, which should help to stop them from sending ships through piecemeal.

Thats sounds like a pretty nice feature, and personally I haven't seen any Range check errors, so do you recommend making the change?
Date: Apr 21, 2016 7:02 AM
It's up to you. Seems to be more prevelant with players that have win8+.
Commenter: Perkins
Date: Apr 23, 2016 6:19 PM
Running it in wine you have to disable see ship from memory too (didn't back on se5 1.78, but I can't find the patch installer for 1.78 and I don't really want to go older than that).

On an unrelated note, I have a copy of Fyron's python script, and a set of python scripts I wrote for programmatic changes to any of the text files (I use it to rebase my mod off the latest BM whenever BM gets updated).

And on that note, what are the odds of getting the sources for the main_external_events and AIs for 1.20 gamma?
Date: Apr 24, 2016 10:40 AM
I don't usually post WIP scripts on my website because they're incomplete or buggy but send me a message and I can provide a test copy.
http://www.captainkwok.net/submitcontact.php
Commenter: DXM
Date: Nov 4, 2016 4:32 AM
Not sure if this was a bug or what...

Warped an explorer into neighboring system, told it to survey system. It threw its orders away after moving 2 hexes, with 1 move left. It would not accept Survey order again until I manually ordered it to move another hex.
Commenter: Skyburn
Date: Nov 5, 2016 2:50 PM
That's an SE5 bug related to the survey order. Kwok was able to reduce the bug's effects somewhat by making stars only 1 hex, but fixing the bug is more than a modder can do.
Date: Nov 6, 2016 1:50 AM
Ah. Well, I wasn't sure, it's been a while since I played SE5. My XP SP2 PC died. It won't work on my XP SP3 PC, actually it worked once after I jacked with the settings, but now it's gone back to not working. (Range Check Error)

If I use ekolis's full screen window script & set graphics to Low quality, it works on my 7 laptop. So, Idecided to play a game. There seem to be a few differences from the last BM game I played...wonder what else will change by the final version.
Date: Dec 19, 2017 10:19 AM
Hey, Kwok... Just noticed the medium mine entry in Vehicle Sizes appears to have a typo; it says number of requirements is 2, but it has 3. Small & Large have both say 3. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it.