SEV optimization

[RSS]
Author: Gunblade
Date: Feb 18, 2017 1:53 PM
Category: Spaceport
So with the game over a decade old I was wondering if somehow, someone had found a way to optimize the long turn times of the game.
Long shot but maybe someone found something (not including mods by the way).
A lot of the game is reading from text files after all, though of course I imagine trying to properly optimize would require Malfador/Arron to actually get off their ass to patch up the actual source code.

Replies

Commenter: Zap
Date: Feb 18, 2017 3:42 PM
SEV optimization
The problem with Aaron getting off his ass is apparently the part where, since he sold the rights to the series and the publisher decided it's not worth pushing any more patches, he can't do that unless he buys the franchise back for waay too much money.

As far as turn times go smaller system sizes have shown improvements. The latest version of the Balance Mod includes a reduced system size, and some mods like Stellar Warfare make systems really small. Not including mods, no, you're probably fucked.

Since the source of the game isn't going to change anymore but we still want a better game, the Freee project was launched - it's aiming to be an open source clone of SE IV. I haven't heard what the current status is, but afaik Ekolis and maybe some others are still contributing to it.
Commenter: Gunblade
Date: Feb 19, 2017 4:12 AM
SEV optimization
Yeah the rights being sold screwed everything up and would require someone to crack the source open. Not gonna happen I guess.

I did notice the FrEee thing but it's so difficult to find up to date information on it.
Commenter: Skyburn
Date: Feb 19, 2017 12:58 PM
SEV optimization
Freee is still going. There are a couple of test games in progress. Ekolis is hunting a couple of serious bugs at the moment.
Date: Feb 21, 2017 10:59 AM
SEV optimization
Any AI? :D
Also is there any up to date website to keep track of these things?
Commenter: combatwombat
Date: Feb 22, 2017 12:41 AM
SEV optimization
Commenter: Skyburn
Date: Feb 23, 2017 10:25 PM
SEV optimization
No, there's no AI.
Date: May 22, 2017 9:05 AM
SEV optimization
Really wanting to play SEV again and was thinking of just modding it up then.
What's the suggestions of all the mods to use to make it playable?

Also will FrEee look to build AI in the future?