SEV or SEIV

[RSS]
Author: bearclaw
Date: Mar 15, 2017 3:27 PM
Category: Spaceport
So after developing NewMod for SEIV it occurred to me that there are a lot of things I would like to do with the mod that SEV would be better suited for.

My question is how many might be interested in an SEV version of NewMod? Are there still enough people playing to make it with the effort?

Replies

Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Mar 15, 2017 3:38 PM
SEV or SEIV
MY vote is go for SEIV.

SEV just never lived up to the legacy of SEIV, despite being more moddable. It had potential, but buried it under a ton of bad design choices that really spelled the end for the franchise.
Commenter: DXM
Date: Mar 16, 2017 11:21 PM
SEV or SEIV
Sadly, I have to agree, SEV doesn't have the kind of player base that SEIV does.

That being said, I'm still working toward an SEV mod... Mind if I steal some ideas from you? Or possibly even ask you for help at some point?

What sort of things did you want to do that SEV would be better suited for?

@blackknyght: any chance you've come across any hi-res component images I could use yet?
Commenter: Rhodri2112
Date: Aug 27, 2018 6:28 PM
SEV or SEIV
Agreed. I had such high hopes for SEV but it didn't have the same flow. SEIV has a number of issues I'd love to see improved, but they're minor compared to how I feel about SEV.

This isn't the only franchise this happened to. I'd love to see an actual improvement using the base engine of Hearts of Iron II. My preferred version is the Darkest Hour update. Still, there are tweaks I'd like to see to the engine. Tweaks. Not a huge overhaul.

Hearts of Iron III was hard for me to get into. Same for Hearts of Iron IV.

Anyway, I'm still playing SEIV, as much as I ever have and I bought the original version of the game.
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Aug 29, 2018 10:23 PM
SEV or SEIV
You should check out FrEee: https://bitbucket.org/ekolis/freee/src :)