What does Life Support actually do? (SE:V)

[RSS]
Author: TimelessBob
Date: Sep 27, 2017 7:26 PM
Category: Spaceport
I understand it's supposed to be paired with crew quarters, but does it have any function other than the need to take up kilotons?

Don't get me wrong. I like the RP aspect of having a crew scramble to repair their Life Support after a battle, but I don't really see that in-game. I'd like to see Life Support actually use up resources every turn keeping the crew alive and when the Life support is damaged, (or a ship runs out of supply) having said crew slowly perish until more resources are gained or the Life Support is repaired. (A bit bloodthirsty, I suppose.)

Furthermore, I'd like to see lifeless wreckage and "ghost-ships" floating around once the crew has all died - the ships bursting into balls of plasma and all those resources just disappearing is a bit sanitized. It removes random floating junk (booby trapped with a mine field or not) from the game.

I'm not sure if this would work, but my thought is that the Crew Quarters component could be modded to continually kill off a flat percentage its crew, but the Life Support component would be modded to restore the same percentage of new crew. (Of course, a med bay might restore a greater percentage of crew members as well as supply planets with plague assistance.) Each time the Life Support functioned, it would use up supply, but when there was no more supply remaining, the crew would slowly die without replenishment. Eventually, the ships would become ghost ships.

I'd also like to somehow remove the ability for ships without supplies to somehow still move a sector - the idea that a ghost ship or wreckage could be steered back home is kind of ludicrous, but having one that still bears the markings and design of its star nation makes sense. I would probably make engines a one-use kind of deal, like planet makers, that would need to be rebuilt by the crew quarters crew after each use. That would make carrier battles more of a thing, and discourage "pass and glass" tactics - a ship would only be able to warp into a system then commence the attack with regular weapons on the next turn after the engines were rebuilt. Ample time to have a planet launch its fighters and satellites, and for the troop carriers to also deploy its own long range defenses, fighters and the like. Maybe add cargo capacity to drones, so they can be the drop pods for the troops... Having support ships warping in from adjacent sectors to repel/support the invasion would also add a level of strategy to the game that isn't currently there.

Anyway, this all depends on whether its even possible to have the Life Support and Crew Quarters components to interact in the manner described above. Anyone have an idea if this is possible?

Replies

Commenter: OAKSIF0
Date: Sep 28, 2017 2:47 AM
Looks possible to me. It seems easy to make a mod for.
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Sep 29, 2017 1:15 PM
I don't claim any expertise, but most of a ship's components are either fully operational or completely damaged, and I don't recall anything but shields that appear to act any different. I think there may be a difference between being "damaged" or "uncharged," but I'm not the one to tell you exactly how that works. I do know that losing Life Support and Crew Quarters will affect Vehicle Control, but the effect is "all or nothing." I can't say it's impossible, but I don't see an obvious way to mod the thing you're asking. In my opinion, the game contains enough such detail already. I'd rather focus on tactics.

I do believe it's possible to leave a ship undamaged, but dead in space. Yet a ship moving one sector per turn is only useful for its vision. As long as it exists, you still have to pay ship maintenance. I don't understand what you're seeking from the presence of a motionless hulk.

I have played in games where ringworlds and sphereworlds were placed in systems by some map-maker, but that's not done through modding.

The rebuilding that you speak of is accomplished by Repair.

If I remember correctly, combat occurs every fifth movement turn out of 30 in each game turn, so that ships from adjacent sectors can join in at 5-move intervals.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Sep 29, 2017 1:20 PM.
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Oct 3, 2017 8:14 AM
As an added note: In one of my current games I just had a ship with only its Crew Quarters damaged by passing through a warp point. The ship's movement dropped from 11 sectors per turn to 5 sectors per turn.