Book similar to SEIV?

[RSS]
Author: Kamar
Date: Dec 11, 2017 12:41 AM
Category: Spaceport
Hey everyone,

Has anyone read a book that could have been set in the SEIV universe? I had one I read a couple of times - a space opera sorta, with wormholes that connected different solar systems and the wormholes were mined and defended and large fleets of ships traveled down different wormhole paths, etc.

If so, what was the name of that book or the author? I lent this book to a friend of mine and he lost it, so I'm looking to replace it.

Thanks!
Joel

Replies

Commenter: Blackadder
Date: Dec 11, 2017 5:37 PM
Book similar to SEIV?
I'm not sure if it's the one you have in mind, but The Mote in God's Eye reminds me somewhat of SEIV. It does have warp lines and warp points, although they aren't called by those names.
Commenter: DXM
Date: Dec 12, 2017 7:04 AM
Book similar to SEIV?
Awesome book... One of the best, most realistic seeming first contact stories. So many 'we just met aliens' stories these days turn out to be ordinary aliens; either humans-from-elsewhere or basic anthropomorphic species... Despite having the aforementioned not-so-alien aliens, I quite like the Kris Longknife books, which feature jump points. It's interesting that speed & spin of your ship changes where the jump points send you.
Commenter: Kamar
Date: Dec 20, 2017 6:51 PM
Book similar to SEIV?
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Actually, my local group for the "Mantle of the Sun" game figure out what I was referring to. It was "The Shiva Option" by David Weber and Steve White. Written in 2002 it could literally be Space Empires fan fiction with the similarities to the game. A great read to get you into what it might feel like to be in the SE universe!