Fusion Mod questions and "poll"

[RSS]
Author: blackknyght
Date: May 4, 2018 2:02 PM
Category: Spaceport
I want to ask anyone who plays/has played the Fusion Mod what about it do they like the best, and what do they like the least?

What techs/traits do you use most, and which do you think are the best & worst, and why?

What components or weapons do you like best, and which do you think need some reworking, and why?

I ask because I'm working on a new version of the mod, and I'd really appreciate input from any and all who have played it since you have the best experiences to draw from.

Thanx, in advance...

Replies

Commenter: AngleWyrm
Date: May 23, 2018 2:54 PM
My favorite part of most mods is when they give me choices to make. For example, the Advanced Mod makes it possible to choose 'cargo' as an early research tech, because light freighters are a part of that tech branch.

Another fun thing to do is design ships. That may seem peculiar to say, but there's a lot of pre-fab that spoils the fun. How many different colony ships can be made? Could I choose range (supply) over population transport (cargo) in some meaningful quantity? Or maybe design speedy colony ships to claim that distant planet, with just enough supply and little population?
Commenter: Rhodri2112
Date: Aug 27, 2018 6:20 PM
Howdy

I just went through and made an expanded Vehicles.txt and Components.txt for the Fusion Mod. I'll be happy to send those along to let you play with them. I'll also be building a new Facilities.txt as well.

But that's not why I'm here. I have a couple of questions for the more experienced modders for SEIV Deluxe. Is there a way to add new abilities? I mean, I know the Abilities.txt file, but as little as that is coded, it looks more like a reference file than anything that can make substantial changes.

Also, I've run into a weird problem with the base Fusion Mod v1.15.3 using Steam Space Empires IV Deluxe. I have version 1.95, which is I believe the latest version.

When I try to use the Map Editor, it keeps popping up with a message that says it is unable to load Settings.txt. Unlike issues with mods, that error message gives me no idea what the problem might be.

I ran into the problem after I made the changes, so I reinstalled the base mod. Then I added the Images Mod to the base mod, because I know it needs it. That didn't work. I then reunzipped the download and used a completely fresh version of the mod. That didn't work.

Then I tried using the base game, and it popped up into the Map Editor just fine.

According to the version history here: http://wiki.spaceempires.net/index.php/Version_History_(SEIV), there was a problem that 1.95 supposedly fixed a problem with the Map Editor loading track files. On the off chance, I replaced the track section of the Settings.txt with the section in the vanilla Settings.txt and copied over the files from the Music directory. That didn't work.

It seems to me I'm doing something wrong with the install of the Fusion Mod. I've used the Map Editor with the Fusion Mod active on other computers, but it's been some time and I could just have forgotten something obvious. However, I can't think of what that might be.

I suppose I could make a map using the vanilla settings. I suspect if I made a map in the FQM Quadrant Mod it would work fine, given that my understanding is that is the base of the Fusion Mod stellar generation system. However, I'd like to make sure I don't have a lingering problem that will crop up later.

Suggestions?
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Aug 29, 2018 10:24 PM
Don't know what's going on with the Fusion Mod, but I can tell you it's impossible to add new abilities in SE4. You can in FrEee though! ;) https://bitbucket.org/ekolis/freee/src