Why is it my AI seems incompetent?

[RSS]
Author: KommissarReb
Date: Apr 7, 2019 6:33 AM
Category: Spaceport
I used Mephisto's Terran Confederation AI as the base canvas to make my Imperium of Man AI. I don't know why they don't seem to play as competently as Mephisto's Terran Confederation. They don't use transports to populate their colonies as much, or construct fighters and mines as often as the MTC.

Could it be because of the Advanced Traits that required me to reduce some of their traits? (I reduced Farming and Refining down to 50, and increased Mining) Could it be because I changed their shipset files so their attack ships eventually start using psychic weapons and Religious Talismans?

What files should I take a look at? Here's the link so you can test and see for yourself: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Space%20Empires%20IV/Imperium%20of%20Man

Replies

Commenter: Tobias
Date: Apr 7, 2019 6:53 AM
Hm... I can't access that folder.

Does the AI otherwise perform as expected (i.e. research, vehicle design etc.)? Because one possible hickup occurs when the AI files in the corresponding pictures/races folder are not recognized for some reason and the game starts using the default AI files instead. Are all folders and files named correctly? No spelling errors?
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Apr 7, 2019 6:56 AM.
Commenter: KommissarReb
Date: Apr 7, 2019 10:23 PM
What do you mean you can't access it? Is Dropbox not allowing you to download the files, I'm not sure where I can upload my files, try here: https://megaupload.nz/E026kbabn7/Imperium_of_Man_zip
Date: Apr 8, 2019 3:58 AM
I think you originally included a dropbox *home* link, i.e. a link that will redirect *you* to your dropbox home but won't work for others.

But I got the files now. Unfortunately, there is nothing wrong with them as far as I can see at a cursory glance. But since you said you reduced the Farming and Refining aptitudes: It could be that if you did not adjust ***_AI_Planettypes.txt accordingly, this leaves the AI in an organics and/or radioactives crunch, which leaves it unable to produce the required number of ships etc.

You might want to try letting the AI run for a while, then take it over by putting it under human control via the "Players" setting in-game. If its organic and/or radioactive stocks are constantly depleted while it still has ample minerals, that is likely to be the culprit.

P.S.: I see the archive is called "Imperium of Man" while the files all begin with "iom". I *think* that the AI files need to be named exactly the same as the folder in order for the AI to work properly. So if that's not already the case, you should rename the folder to "iom".
Date: Apr 8, 2019 9:24 AM
The way I would test the AI is start a game and switch to a minor power, then hit end turn and save as a test game. I would switch to the IOM every now and then to check on their progress. That's how I've been testing them all this time.

The IOM in my experience is usually okay on resources, but the problem is they don't make as many fighters and mines and deploy them as much as the vanilla Terran Mephisto's Confederation would. I'm not sure what the culprit on that would be since the only things I changed were some of the ship designs and the research, and the IOM wouldn't use mines and fighters as much even when they have access to them and they are fighting a war.

As for the file names, all the necessary files are "iom" not "Imperium of Man". The name of the .zip file and Readme aren't going to affect gameplay so long as everything else is "iom", which I've been careful to make sure of.

It could be that the game gave the IOM a bad hand when I've been testing them sometimes when it comes to location and available planets. They can handle most empires, but I suppose my gimmick of them using Allegiance Subverters and Religious Talismans together had a price. The Gron Hive however seems to not have that issue even with the -3000 point deficit (I'm playing at 2000 points).

Have you or anyone else tested them ingame to see if they are a capable force, or can you pinpoint where I've gone wrong? Editing the AI is new to me, and I wanted to make an AI that was somewhat unique yet challenging.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Apr 8, 2019 9:24 AM.
Date: Apr 8, 2019 10:46 AM
Well, in that case I don't know. Might just be that the general reduction in available resources and/or a bad starting Position are to blame. I quickly ran it through 100 turns with other TDM AIs and they seemed to do okay.

If you're specifically concerned they don't produce enough fighters or mines, have you tried upping the tonnages in iom_AI_Construction_Units.txt? Preferably at the expense of something else so as to avoid overflow issues?

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Apr 8, 2019 10:50 AM.
Date: Apr 9, 2019 11:00 AM
You were right: increasing the numbers in iom_AI_Construction_Units.txt did the trick! I don't know why I didn't think to change that before.

Thanks again for the advice! I hope people enjoy the empires I made. Maybe once I figure out how to get a hold of a 3d editing software like DOGA I can start making my own models instead of just tinting someone else's.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Apr 9, 2019 11:01 AM.
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Apr 10, 2019 8:26 PM
DoGA can be downloaded here: http://www.doga.co.jp/english/download/index.html

Or if you like there are other 3D modeling apps out there such as Blender, Wings 3D, Art of Illusion, etc...
Date: Apr 13, 2019 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice! The DoGA links for most of the needed files are dead now, so I gave Wings 3D a whirl since it's free. I've been spending the last few days working on an Imperial Cobra-class destroyer, though I regret not starting with something easier seeing how heavily detailed it is. It'll probably be a while before I make models for all the Imperium's units.

Though if I can make 3d models now, I wonder if they can be used for Space Empires V when they are done? I also don't know how to edit AI for SEV, though I'd probably give them an AI that would use Psychic technology + Phased-Polaron Beams.
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Apr 15, 2019 11:53 PM
Wings 3D does have a .x exporter - I should know, I wrote the exporter! So you can export your models for use in SE5.