Sensors and Weapon Platforms?

[RSS]
Author: blackknyght
Date: Apr 29, 2020 7:29 PM
Category: Spaceport
Do weapon platforms benefit at all fro having access to Combat Sensors or ECM?

Replies

Commenter: suicidejunkie
Date: Apr 30, 2020 2:15 AM
I believe so, but the planet's default to-hit chance is high enough to overwhelm the ECM effect.
If that's modded into balance it probably works.

I'm pretty sure Combat sensors are useful and a Talisman would give perfect shots, but I haven't played with that in an extremely long time and could be mistaken.

I expect if it does anything, then a single platform will give the bonuses to the entire planet, so you'd only need one command platform and then the rest could be guns.

BTW; if you forego allowing weapons on platforms, you can get much better troop-vs-troop combat. When there are no armed platforms, then troop transports with capture planet orders will be emboldened and attempt to make hot landings in combat... even before all of your own attacking armed ships are dead and the landing becomes a suicide mission.
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Apr 30, 2020 4:50 PM
Good to know, though I think I'll be leaving weapon platforms alone. I like the idea of "coastal defense guns" being used to repel invasions rather than streamlining them a bit more towards the invader. 😉👍
Commenter: Perimal
Date: May 1, 2020 10:07 AM
I can confirm what suicidejunkie said.

Sensors are useful, but I don't normally bother with them on small WP as the bonus relatively small in the early game.

As for the Talisman - gives 100% hits wherever.

ECM: even giving a planet +100% ECM (on a Facility) has no real benefit.
Date: May 1, 2020 11:17 AM
Made sense, which is whit I'm removing them from being available to WPs.

As for the Talisman, and the Stock version of Religious tech in general, they've long since been removed from our Fusion Mod. Too many players take that simply to exploit the Talisman.
Commenter: suicidejunkie
Date: May 5, 2020 12:05 PM
In terms of the coastal defense guns, I agree, but I don't like how the platforms work mechanically in that regard.

Having many tiny bases in orbit works better, and may need a path cleared through them to actually reach the planet.
The main downside of that is needing a SY to emplace them.

Perhaps a custom fighter hull that can't move would work well; the planet could spam them out from cargo into small stacks all around the planet.
Date: May 7, 2020 11:55 PM
Now there's an interesting idea! I kind of launchable DefSat network to defend a planet!
Commenter: Cipher
Date: May 10, 2020 12:16 PM
I like the last idea in principle, and I may be off base here, but I seem to remember earlier versions where very large numbers of units were banned due to crowding the combat screen, similar to jam-ups from very large fleets. That should be taken into account.

While I'm at it, I might as well mention my thought on particle field converters. I've played in games in other versions of the mod where it seemed some players' entire strategies were based on gathering resources from the vacuum, practically allowing them to condense much of an empire's gathering, building, and defenses into single (or a very few) sectors. I think the overall ability of a location (or perhaps a system) should have finite resource production limits similar to asteroid fields.

Here's an added thought on your "Def-Sat" network. It could be assembled with a specific number of components like we do when building a Sphere-World. Upgrades could then be made available to whatever level seems to make sense.
Edited 2 time(s). Lasted edited May 10, 2020 12:30 PM.
Commenter: Perimal
Date: May 12, 2020 1:58 PM
The no engine fighter needs to be thought through.

It could cause problems in _AI_Construction_Vehicles.txt files so it would mean rewriting all this file for every race. You'd have to call the new satellites and normal fighters by making careful choices for the Name and Design Type fields or abandon use of fighters or AIs.

I've never seen anyone use anything other than the standard names in the often forgotten _AI_Construction_Units.txt file so that may turn out to be the biggest cause of unintended consequences.

It may be easiest to do an Honorverse thing and remove the ordinary mines from the game. If you call the new "satellites" mines with the vehicle type 'fighter'; then name standard fighters 'LAC' also with vehicle type Fighter it should give the effect you want.