Do all my players need to install mods, or just host?

[RSS]
Author: SpiderMonkey
Date: May 19, 2020 11:14 AM
Category: Spaceport
I am planning to host a game for a few friends. I am thinking of installing the TDM-ModPack to improve the AI, and give us a wider selection of ship sets and race pictures. (The idea of fighting against the Shadows from Babylon 5 seems fun!)

I am concerned that if every player has to install the mod, we could find ourselves 30 turns into the game (maybe when we first encounter one another?) realizing that someone did not install it correctly, and have to start over.

Does every player have to install the mod, or just the host? If the former, is there a simple check I can do with each player to verify they installed the mod correctly?

And, what is the easiest way to activate TDM? I see that it appears in the "Extras" folder in the SEIV Deluxe version sold through Steam.

Other than TDM are there other good mods worth considering, and can two mods work together?

Thanks!

Replies

Commenter: Perimal
Date: May 20, 2020 9:16 AM
I don't PBM myself but I can answer some of your questions.

When modding you're normally changing things in 2 places either the root directory or in the mod directory. Things which go into the SEIV root directory are superseded by what's in the Mod directory. Typically you might put quadrant mods, music, image, and Dsgnname in the root directory.

You can use the TDM or better the TDM remod pack with Stock or any quadrant mod. Other than that mods don't mix without some hard work. Since the mod is for AIs then it has to be on your machine.

The TDM-ReMod pack is available at http://www.mediafire.com/file/582kq6npkkvn6am/TDM-ReModPack_131.7z/file

This is a re-write of the original TDM ModPack to get the most of the last version of SE4, and to accommodate quadrants with large numbers of planets. Non-functional (to the AI) components and ship-types are largely removed from use.

The AIs are set for play with High Difficulty and Low Bonus. Using higher bonuses is likely to prove challenging.

This mod includes 15 fully revised default races and 28 new and unique races/shipsets put together by over 20 modders. This Modpack does not contain any modified tech trees, new components or facilities, just a major re-write of most of the AI files. Please check the readmes for further details.

In any case I strongly advise you consider changing your settings.txt to allow more than 100 systems, and increase the default number of units and ships allowed the player.
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: May 20, 2020 3:21 PM
"I strongly advise you consider changing your settings.txt to allow more than 100 systems"

Just a quick FYI - Change the number to any more than 250 systems in your settings.txt and SEIV will lock up and not generate a map.
Commenter: NeuroCPU
Date: May 20, 2020 4:07 PM
blackknyght is right - only 8bits (byte) are reserved for game system number and 16bits (word) for space objects (everything what you can see in a system - more thant 65535 / 20 objects per empire may (and will) have side effects)
Date: May 21, 2020 2:03 PM
I've been playing for years with Maximum Number Of Systems: 255 without problems other than an occasional crash during quadrant creation - and that may be due my fiddling in the quadrant file. It's not a real difficulty.

I suspect the limits were originally because the computers of the time were less powerful. I find large galaxies give a more "strategic" game. Although I do often play with a medium galaxy to get a quadrant in the 100 system range.
Date: May 21, 2020 4:49 PM
that's only a part of that - another is coding style inefficiencies, which by small alteration (optimization) could bring (back in the 1999) at least 30% performance gain. And much more from an algorithmic side.

Allocating more bits for object ids would result in savegame's incompatibility
Commenter: SpiderMonkey
Date: May 26, 2020 2:22 PM
Thank you, Perimal and NeuroCPU! I appreciate the feedback. I am working with all my players to install the TDM ReMod pack. There will be five of us. I'd ideally like a moderately stiff challenge, but winnable if we play well. We're all moderately good strategy game players, but it's been a looooong time since we last played SEIV and we never fully mastered it.

So, I'm thinking of setting the game up as AIs vs. Players, with one major AI race (the Shadows). I play tested a bit and it looks like that setting also sets all the minor (automatically generated) AIs to quickly want to kill human players, too. Another option would be to have very few (if any) auto generated AIs and have 2-3 enemy AIs band together against us.

Thoughts?
Date: May 27, 2020 9:46 AM
I think you need to have an alliance of evil - it's too easy for the RNG to wreck the chances of any single race by putting them in a bad position. Have more AI's than humans, and let battle be joined.

Try Shadows, Dra'kol, Rage, and Pyrochette plus Fazrah and/or Sithrak as cannon fodder and add a low number of AIs for the surprise factor. With that number of players go for a large quadrant (however you set the max systems) so everyone can get some kind of start.

I'd like to hear how they perform - also let me know of any typos you come across.
Commenter: SpiderMonkey
Date: May 27, 2020 4:32 PM
Thanks, Perimal for the suggestion! I may scale it back a bit, so we don't all get creamed. (It's been a long time since I last played, and some players never have!) I will let you know how it goes!
Date: May 27, 2020 7:27 PM
Perimal, what is the Rock Natives colonization tech area? not stock definitely
Date: May 27, 2020 9:16 PM
Which race is it?
Date: Jun 3, 2020 4:45 AM
can't remember now - maybe new one?! also there was an unrecognized game setting