Expanded Point-Defense ???

[RSS]
Author: blackknyght
Date: Jul 1, 2020 4:26 PM
Category: Spaceport
I swear I saw somewhere once a type of "dual-purpose" weapon that function as both a short-ranged direct fire weapon and a point-defense weapon.

Am I simply getting senile, or is this possible in some way? Maybe by using the "Weapon List Target Override" and "Weapon List Target Description" sections of a component?

Replies

Commenter: Blackadder
Date: Jul 2, 2020 10:09 AM
Yes, I tried this; you may be remembering the thread I wrote on the topic. You can give a weapon designated as "point defense" any targets you want by using Weapon List Target Override. However, the weapon will only fire automatically at seekers, fighters, and drones; you have to manually aim at other targets (much like you have to target satellites manually with PDCs in stock). Also, the AI is not very good at using PDCs that can target ships - it will tend to run from ships if this is the only type of weapon it has, regardless of strategy and regardless of the fact that the PDCs can hit ships (once cornered, though, the AI will in fact shoot at ships with the PDCs).

So overall I consider this possible, but not very practical if you intend for the AI to use them.
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Jul 9, 2020 8:38 PM
Thanx, that's extremely helpful to know.