Reworking "Stock" Racial weapons effects

[RSS]
Author: blackknyght
Date: Sep 17, 2020 2:45 PM
Category: Spaceport
I'm considering reworking the "stock" Racial weapons in the Fusion mod to make them both effective and yet uniquely different from other Racial weapons. I'd also like to limit each to only three weapons, so as to keep things balanced more and less OP.

Here's my rough breakdown so far, and I'd appreciate any constructive feedback on these ideas.

***Psychic weapon effects:
1): Crew Conversion - psychically subvert the minds of an entire crew - [very] slow ROF

2): Increase Reload Time - temporarily stun a crew psychically, preventing them briefly from firing weapons

AND/OR

3): Disrupt Reload Time - psychically cause a crew to not want to fire a weapon for an extended period of time

4): Only Boarding Parties - psychically cause fear and confusion to potential boarding parties, preventing them from attacking

AND/OR

5): Only Security Stations - psychically cause pain and confusion to potential defenders, preventing them from mounting any defense

***Temporal weapon effects:
1): Only Weapons - Cause breakdowns in weapons by temporally disrupting systems

2): Only Engines - Cause breakdowns in engines by temporally draining power systems

3): Random Target Movement - displace targets temporally in space

4): Skips Shields And Armor - bypasses shields and armor by being temporally out of phase with them - [very] slow ROF

***Crystalline weapon effects:
1): Skips Armor - hardened armor-piercing crystalline projectiles pierce through armor

2): Shields Only - uses crystalline capacitors to drain energy from enemy shields

3): Only Shield Generators - Uses crystalline amplifiers to cause feedback overloads in enemy shield generators

4): Skips All Shields - Polarized crystalline projectiles pass through energy shield barriers

***Organic weapon effects:
1): Half Damage To Shields - thorny projectiles that use little if any supplies but are ineffective against shields

2): Double Damage To Shields - bioplasmic energy engulfs and does heavy damage to shields

AND/OR

3): Quad Damage To Shields - bioplasmic energy engulfs and does massive damage to shields

4): Plague Level 1-5 - disruptive viral contagion that infects a planet's population

5): Only Planet Population - deadly viral contagion that infects and kills a planet's population

, ,

Replies

Commenter: Eye_C_U
Date: Sep 17, 2020 5:58 PM
I like the move AWAY from teeth and claws and tentacles too many unimaginative people like to see in SEIV, as if using organic technology meant flaying around of some giant animal's back.

I prefer organic things like Tin Man or Species 8472 in Star Trek and Moya from Farscape. THOSE make more sense to me.
Commenter: Drazi
Date: Sep 17, 2020 7:13 PM
Firstly, I really like that you dropped religious as a technology altogether! That NEVER made any sense and players only ever took it for one reason anyway.

My choices:

Temporal - I like #s 1,2,and 3
Crystalline - I like #s 1,2, and 4
Psychic - I like #s 1,2, and 3
Organic - Not sure here. #1 seems pointless, #s 2 and/or 3 seem similar enough I'm not sure why you wouldn't just go with the biggest, and #s 4 and 5 seem redundant.
Commenter: Robosaurus
Date: Sep 17, 2020 10:07 PM
I tend to agree with Eye_C_U and Drazi, though Organic doesn't quite jell with me.

What about smarter seekers, since they're a kind of lifeform that can think and maybe adjust better to hitting a target or avoiding enemy fire? Or a kind of "Bio-Bomb" that kills crew or security stations with killer spores that devour lifeforms? The thorny projectile thing sounds reasonable, if it did normal damage only.
Commenter: Blackadder
Date: Sep 18, 2020 11:41 AM
I think these sound pretty cool.

With respect to psychic #3, keep in mind that Disrupt Reload Time is not stopped by Master Computers (it actually isn't stopped by anything except the weapon missing). So if you had Master Computers in your mod, they would still be affected by that weapon, which might seem odd.
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Sep 19, 2020 3:58 AM
Yeah, I knew that, which is why I thought it might be interesting to utilize it. Kind of a psychic monkey wrench that effects even MCs.
Commenter: Blackadder
Date: Sep 19, 2020 11:58 PM
Cool idea. That will show those people who think a master computer makes them safe from psychic attack!