Category: Spaceport
The latest iteration of the Fusion Mod is now available

http://pbw.spaceempires.net/forums/victory/t/5022

Replies

< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >
Commenter: TheChin
Date: Feb 16, 2022 3:33 PM
Fusion Mod v1.17.1 released
I'm thinking of starting a new game for some peeps who haven't played in years and for some noobs. I know it's ambitious, but I think I'm going to use the FusionMod. I see that it mentions it needs the latest image mods, but is there anything else I need for it so i can streamline my instructions for my players?
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Feb 16, 2022 3:33 PM.
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Feb 16, 2022 5:19 PM
More or less all the images you'll need are included, except may some of the Image mod planet and facilities packs.

I believe anyway...
Date: Feb 16, 2022 5:20 PM
BTW, the latest version is v1.17.6, and v1.18 will be available very soon.
Date: Feb 17, 2022 9:49 AM
Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for it
Date: Feb 18, 2022 4:07 PM
I do have a question, and this may be more from me not having played IV in a couple of decades, than the Fusionmod. I started up a test game last night of fusionmod 1.17.6 just to kick the wheels and see if it is a good fit for this game we are planning. One thing I noticed is that when designing ships is that they start with a movement value without engines (I'm pretty sure that is because of the hull's bonus), but you do have to have engines to get movement. From what I see, you may need to have more or less engines based on the hull? Like, I had to install 3 just to get a colony ship to move. But, in the UI at least, I didn't immediately see a good reference as to how many engines the hull needed to move. Now I tested and see the original game doesn't warn you if you forgot to install engines, but you can tell because your movement says zero. Is it safe to assume that the only way to know for sure is to keep adding engines until your movement goes up one above the bonus?
Date: Feb 19, 2022 1:31 PM
Pretty much, yeah

We arranged it so various hulls require more engines to move per point based on their "size/mass", varying greatly from Stock SE4. We've tweaked this even further for v1.18 so that smaller ships will now move faster and larger ones less so.
Date: Feb 20, 2022 7:32 PM
Fusion Mod v1.18 is uploaded and approved!

http://pbw.spaceempires.net/mods/fmd118
Date: Mar 3, 2022 11:11 AM
Fusion Mod v1.18 released
One of my players noticed a bug that Force Bean X is available at Psych Tech 1. I was thinking I'd just edit the file myself and give it to my players as 1.18.1 might not be out before we start. That shouldn't screw up anything right, as far as PBW goes? It doesn't really care about any edits on our side? as long as the host and all the players have the same edit?
Date: Mar 3, 2022 11:45 PM
Did you get the email I sent you addressing that, and the corrected Components.txt?
Date: Mar 4, 2022 9:54 AM
Doesn't look like I did. Hopefully it was only changing the one value from a 1 to a 10, which is what I manually did, or was there more to it?
Date: Mar 4, 2022 11:10 AM
No, that was all there was to it. A simple typo where a 1 was in place instead of a 10. I just tried to tell you before you got the game started.
Date: Mar 7, 2022 8:35 AM
Some other feedback. My player who is running some tests sent me the following behavior he saw. I might switch our intended quadrant to Classic Midlife, but I thought you might want to know. If you have an easy fix, maybe I can head it off early. Unless this was by design

"Hey there, I was running some tests and noticed that the mod doesn't handle starting planet creation very well with the non-standard quadrant types (eg, "WPM Balanced Mid-Life").

What happens is that about 30% of the time (or so), it will start you on a sector that has a planet & some moons. (moons in these quadrant types are more like planets though -- they can have any atmosphere and can be decently sized). Then, instead of assigning your start world to the planet/moon that matches your atmosphere type... it picks one of them at random (or at least random-seeming, it might avoid None type atmospheres).

So in one case, My Rock-Oxygen race started on a ginormous (size 20) oxygen gas giant filled with a large number of facilities. And that rock-oxygen planet that should have been my homeworld was still sitting there waiting for colonization.

In the worst case, my home-world started on a tiny ice-methane planet, so it was a domed colony with just 1 facility.

So... that seems problematic!

It doesn't seem to happen with the classic quadrant types (eg, "Classic Mid-life") - All moons in classic have atmosphere type of None, so that is probably the difference.

I ran with all the defaults except for quadrant type & size (so "All player planets same size" was toggled on). I then add 10 starting races (all the same race) and started the game. I did this four times, and each time about 3-4 of the players would start on the wrong planet/moon. The rest had normal starts."
Date: Mar 7, 2022 8:15 PM
THAT is extremely odd indeed!

We hadn't encountered that yet, nor in any of the active games we're running. We made changes to planet types and sizes (ringed planet are just planets now for example), but never made any changes to Quadrants at all.

I'll let Bearclaw know about this issue, since that's been his bailiwick.
Date: Mar 9, 2022 9:33 AM
More on the Moon issue:
"I was able to fix the Homeworlds starting on moon problem by editing the mod's SystemTypes.txt file (essentially just moved any moons around in the Player Start type systems so they are their own planets instead)."

We're probably still going to switch to Classic Midlife for our game because he also noticed some other balance issues with WPM Balanced Mid-life (at least):
"Rock-Methane had twice the expected facility space than Rock-CarbonDioxide"
Commenter: bearclaw
Date: Mar 10, 2022 12:30 AM
Keep in mind that these are FQM issues, not Fusion Mod. We didn't do that part.

So, removed al possibly of moons in a home system? That doesn't sound like a fix but if it works... I like the FQM moons for the most part.

I have an idea about the methane planets. I'm going to look into that tonight.
Commenter: spork
Date: Mar 10, 2022 12:39 PM
Hey there, this is Spoon from discord & the old shrapnel forums. -- you only need to remove moons from systems where players are allowed to start in, you can keep moons in all the other systems. If you want moons in the starter systems, I suspect you can still use tiny moons with None atmosphere (like how Stock works), but I haven't tested that.

For single player, it's not a big deal since you can just quickly start a new game if you end up on a Homeworld with only 1 facility slot! It's a pretty severe balance issue for multiplayer games, though. Makes the mod largely unplayable unless you only use the Classic quadrants, get a custom map made for your game, or tweak the quadrant-related files yourself.

Fun mod by the way! Having lots of fun digging into it!
Date: Mar 10, 2022 4:05 PM
Anyway, I understand that this problem comes from the FQM stuff, but since you can freely tweak it for your mod, I suggest adding in a small section to Quadrants.txt that has "homeworld safe" versions of two or three of the FQM styled quadrants, like WPM Standard Mid-Life and WPM Standard Cluster.

I'd be happy to make the edits and send them along if you are interested.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Mar 10, 2022 4:06 PM.
Date: Mar 11, 2022 12:26 AM
Ah ha!!
I have found the fault! I know why it happens now just to apply an appropriate fix.

Here's how it goes:
FQM has a lot of moons and main planets with a size of Any in the System Types.txt. As expected, sometimes a moon can end up being a larger size than the main planet.

When this happens, this is when you see a moon rather than the main planet in the System Window.

Now,when SEIV is placing home world's it does it in. This order:

1- check for fixed start locations
2- if none, pick system for each player
3- check if system has matching planet.
4- if yes, use planet (not moon)
5- if no, create matching planet

If a system has a Moon that matches but is larger than the Main planet, then #3 is a YES.

However, the game won't allow a moon to be a home world so it ends up forcing the main planet (which probably isn't a match) to be the home world.

The solution is to change System Types.txt so that all instances of planets with moons are always larger than the moons. I've got a 6 hour train ride ahead of me today so I'm going to see if I can dig into this.

At least, that's what my testing shows. Is anyone able to collaborate this? Or have findings that show otherwise?
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Mar 11, 2022 12:28 AM.
Date: Mar 11, 2022 8:13 AM
Hey, great work Bearclaw! I'll run some tests this morning to try to verify.
Date: Mar 11, 2022 10:10 AM
Wonderful! I've completed an updated System Types.txt file that should solve the issue if I'm correct.

I should also point out that this should fix the issue for ANY mid that uses FQM, not just Fusion.

If anyone wants a copy to test it or for other FQM-using mods, just send me an email

Pelldom @ live. com
Date: Mar 11, 2022 11:14 AM
I did try a test where I set all Planets with Moons to HUGE and all their moons to TINY -- but still saw the issue show up (I'm trying to do a "cleaner" test of that right now to make sure I just didn't mess up the data or something).

But I'd be happy to test your fixed file first. Sending an email..
Commenter: NeuroCPU
Date: Mar 11, 2022 11:18 AM
- there is no moon type in the game - only planet (stellar physical type and sector type);
- there are no 3-5 steps - adding colony involves sector type randomness. Randomness doesn't depend on same position planets/"moons";
- planet atmosphere type-planet physical type-planet size stellar size mapping could be involved for choosing colony size (depending on home planet value - bad/average/good);
Date: Mar 11, 2022 4:42 PM
Sure, when we say "moon", we just mean planets that are placed with the "Same as X" object position in SystemTypes
Date: Mar 12, 2022 10:09 AM
Using the term "Moon" is just a common reference, unless your picking nits...
Date: Mar 13, 2022 6:26 AM
Although... it could be modded that way... "Moons" could be a planet type (SectorAbilities.txt). Basically, they would just be an alternate type of planet. The game only has 2 types of planets as it is right now:

Normal Planets
Ancient Planets

The only difference is that Ancient planets have a higher chance of having ruins on them.

What if Moons were added as an option... What would be the key difference between a Moon and a planet? Increased chance of a weird ability? (increased storage, sensor interferance, etc)
Date: Mar 13, 2022 6:30 AM
Alright, after a LOT of testing and a LOT of input from bunches of people, the Homeworld bug has been identified!!!

Here's what happens: There is a bug in the code. When a map is generated using data files NOT in the default stock data folder, it ignores the Planet Size field in the SystemTypes.txt file and every planet ends up using the ANY setting for the size.

I was able to confirm this by copying the stock data files, creating a "mod" with no changes and sure enough, this is exactly what happens.

When I do the reverse and copy a modded version to the default Data folder (backing up first, of course) then map generation follows the settings of the mod for planet sizes.

In short, if you want maps that will avoid the HomeWorld Bug, generate it from the Default Data Folder, NOT a mod data folder.

***JUST BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR STOCK DATA FILES!***
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Mar 13, 2022 6:32 AM.
Date: Mar 13, 2022 1:24 PM
You rock, thanks Bearclaw!
Date: Mar 15, 2022 12:04 PM
Awesome!
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Mar 15, 2022 12:57 PM
Does this bug affect maps that were generated as the game was created, or only maps generated by clicking "Create Map" prior to starting the game?
< Previous | 1 | 2 | Next >