SE4 - Races that should exist, but don't

[RSS]
Author: Artaud
Date: Jun 22, 2021 7:16 PM
Category: Spaceport
There are so many great SE4 races, and I include a number of them in my games, but there are several fictional universes I wish someone had created a race (or two) for.

How about one from David Wingrove's "Chung Kuo" novels?

Or one from Frank Herbert's "Dune" series? Either one representing Paul Muad'Dib (deeply religious, of course) or the Empire.

Or even one from Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series--the first three books. The ones after that were not very good.

All of the SE4 races I can think of at the moment are based on TV shows or movies.

There are even some interesting historical nations that could make good SE4 races. The Mongols, for example. Or the old Empire of Songhay that occupied what is now Mali, Chad, etc.

Years ago I created a race based on The Mule's Union of Worlds from the Foundation series. It is still "in progress," though I do play it in my own games. I used an old shipset from someone that did not come with AI. Maybe I could upload it here, if it is possible to do that?

Replies

Commenter: NeuroCPU
Date: Jun 25, 2021 9:32 AM
some existing races (Gron, Fazrah, ...) have innacuracies in their txt files (usually missing an empty line before end section '*' - updated data loader isn't so unforgiving). And some vehicle designs/research paths are clearly stupid (dreadnoughts with a total movement of 4)
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Jun 26, 2021 7:34 PM
The formics from Ender's Game could be interesting. Imagine a race of psychic bugs...
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Jun 27, 2021 9:49 AM
Yeah. The Formics would indeed be badass !!!
Commenter: Artaud
Date: Jun 27, 2021 7:39 PM
And I forgot completely about the race I created called the Crugarians. Atrocities had a shipset with no AI or backstory, so I gave him the Crugarians. They are from a sci-fi novel I wrote when I was 17-18 years old and thought that someday I could become a great writer.
Commenter: blackknyght
Date: Jun 27, 2021 8:04 PM
A bit like the Xurians that Atrocities did for me. Vague racial description and little backstory, but terrific shipset!