Pirates & Nomads concept?

[RSS]
Author: blackknyght
Date: Jul 12, 2021 11:35 AM
Category: Spaceport
Got a question, sort of, for Space Empire 4

Can someone explain to me the concept behind 'Pirates & Nomads', and whether or not it's just a fun idea or if it really works? Can AI function with that, or is it a 'players only' concept?

Replies

Commenter: suicidejunkie
Date: Jul 30, 2021 4:50 PM
Actually *being* a pirate/nomad is definitely not for AIs; they are entirely incapable of handling a life without planets or scrounging with thin margins.

It does provide a completely different way to play for humans for variety.
And you can do pretty well for yourself in a larger PBW game where you can make profitable trades to keep yourself afloat, but there's no way you'll ever 'win' as a non-normal empire.
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Jul 31, 2021 11:04 AM
Interesting. I've never played P&N, but it might also be interesting to have a race that was only capable of colonizing a certain type of body; for the sake of argument, say tiny planets or asteroids. Bearclaw explained to me that the option for a race who can only colonize asteroids is possible, but would also take a lot of mod work to set up. What about only tiny planets? Would that be possible (for a player)?
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jul 31, 2021 11:07 AM.
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Aug 1, 2021 12:14 AM
You'd have to make the tiny planets limited to a certain type of planet, for instance ice. Then you could make ice colonization a racial tech for the nomads.
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Aug 2, 2021 10:06 AM
Does that mean tiny planets as they currently exist? Or would you need to create a new type, say a "tiny rock," or "iceball?" Perhaps something limited to resupply, and/or tiny spaceyards.

Anything more would have to involve constructing tiny bases, or tiny spaceyard ships. Like an even smaller version of utility ships, about the size of a large fighter. I could see tiny spaceyard ships "gang-building" something larger. Something like what's being done with spaceyard expansions on planets.

I find that idea more interesting than the same old trend of increasing size. In the same vein of how BK has been using mounts to extend the lives of smaller ships. That places value on efficiency rather than power.
Edited 3 time(s). Lasted edited Aug 2, 2021 10:43 AM.