New Game Question (sorry about the highjack!)

[RSS]
Author: Kamar
Date: Mar 20, 2019 10:57 AM
Category: Stars Swept from the Sky 3
So, this thread is actually about another game... sorry Joe!

I'm currently so strapped for time I can't easily play two games. Looking to give away one of my games and only play one at a time, actually!

However, I'm dreaming about the day when I'll lose both games and have time to start a brand new game (ha ha)! And I wanted to ask what you guys think about a game idea like this and get thoughts/feedback.

What I'm thinking of is a square map with either 4 or 6 players (1 in each corner or 2 on the long side and 1 on the short side).

The outside systems are all weaker, but as you get further into the middle the systems get better. Or maybe all the outside systems are the same, except for the very middle system which is amazing.

In addition, limits are put on the number of ships/bases allowed in a sector. I think this would help the issue of the wildly swinging battles we've seen in Mantle (say 100 ships, 20 bases).

Also, two last items:

1) Everyone starts with all tech researched. You can build everything from the beginning.

2) Yes to Intel tech, No standard stellar manipulation tech, but you can chose to start with two of 4 (or 6) unique techs such as 1) Warp point opener/closer that only fits on a War Station (or maybe a ring/sphere world?). 2) A special small/scout ship with cloaking which can't be detected by normal means, and is only triggered by mines. 3) A "Destroyer Utility Mount" except for a larger ship, such as Dreadnoughts. 4), 5), 6)… other ideas you have?

I think this would create more of a juggle for power system-by-system, and create unique conflict points, even though it would be on a more uniform map.

Anyway, what do you think? No hard feelings if you hate the idea. Either way I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. I think this would be a fun idea-generating thread for those of us who still play SEIV.

Also, lastly, thanks so much Joe for running the games you're running. I feel you've done amazing things for the SEIV community through these games. I am enjoying both I'm involved in very much and only wish I had more free time to play more!

Replies

Commenter: ekolis
Date: Mar 20, 2019 6:10 PM
Hmm, I'm not too keen on all-tech games; I prefer researching to get techs.

I think warp openers/closers require a movement point to activate, so they won't work on bases or planets.

I also think you can't limit the number of ships/bases per sector, but you can limit them per empire.

Apart from those issues though, the game sounds interesting!
Commenter: berendtium111
Date: Mar 20, 2019 10:23 PM
I have never placed warp openers and closers on anything but ships. I think there is a problem with placing them on bases.
Commenter: Kamar
Date: Mar 21, 2019 8:26 AM
Yeah, I did check out the warp point openers on bases - no go as they need movement points.

I was picturing the limit to ships in a sector would be more of an agreement among players than a game setting.

I do hear you about research too - I mostly like the fun of researching (and researching quickly), but I've been thinking it would really speed up a game by not having that too. Maybe make it possible to finish a game in a few months :-)
Commenter: maxcolby
Date: Mar 22, 2019 9:17 AM
It could be interesting to play a game without much of a development phase and the progression of systems getting better in the middle sounds interesting. It might be particularly interesting if there was moderately direct access to the middle such that perhaps the middle system would have 10 warp points going into it. I imagine, however, there would be some horror in the prospect of creating such a map where the systems change as they come closer to the center. A lot would have to be done manually, I think. I have contemplated the limit of ships per empire--I think that could make all sorts of things more useful--fighters, weapon platforms, drones....
I had the impression about intelligence in this game that it doesn't work well so I have never included it.
No stellar manipulations seems like a reasonable twist.