Turn 100!

[RSS]
Author: Kamar
Date: Aug 31, 2019 12:04 AM
Category: Stars Swept from the Sky 3
I know I'm a turn behind or so, but I wanted to say congrats everyone on turning 100! :-)
May the force be ever in your favor... or well, something like that. Engage!

Replies

Commenter: Solomani
Date: Sep 3, 2019 5:32 AM
Turn 100!
Indeed!

This has been a faster game than is usual, despite me often running late!

I think the game set-up has had some effect, due to restricting resources and limiting the arms-race tendency of the mid-game, so not as quite as much onerous micromanagement.

I'd be interested in maybe expanding upon this for a future game to see if we can reduce scale even further. One of the things I like about most of the SE5 games I've played is that a 50-ship fleet feels significant and it is not at all unusual for a dozen ships to constitute a task force. Each ship loss is impactful to a degree, particularly the larger ships. I prefer that approach rather than throwing hundreds of ships into battle in the knowledge that they can be replaced pretty quickly. Just my personal preference.

Imagine it being worthwhile actually NAMING individual ships! :O
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Sep 3, 2019 5:34 AM.
Commenter: Kamar
Date: Sep 4, 2019 2:57 AM
Turn 100!
I like the idea of individual ships being more meaningful too. This would also make weapons platforms more useful. I think the easiest way to do this and keep it balanced would be a) to limit the number of planets and b) to balance colonization/planet value in some way. I think this could also speed up the game play too.

If everyone started with universal colonization, there wouldn't be time spent on the front end where everyone is just researching colonization. This would also promote smaller ships from the beginning being useful to defend systems/planets.

Has anyone played a "finite resource" game of SEIV before?