Delays II

[RSS]
Author: Kamar
Date: Apr 2, 2019 10:20 AM
Category: Mantle of Sun
Hey everyone - I've been working on my turn for a couple of hours tonight, but it's the first chance I've had to do anything substantial on it - and tomorrow is another 12 hour day for me... so I'll probably be late. Sorry! I'll try to upload asap.

*Edit - It's all but midnight, but I'm done. Have another late work night tomorrow too, so I wanted to get my turn in today yet.

Replies

Commenter: TheCulture
Date: Apr 3, 2019 3:29 AM
Delays II
I am going to be unable to complete mine today so will need till close of play on 4th April.
Apologies.

Update: Posted, phew!
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Apr 4, 2019 5:51 PM.
Commenter: Solomani
Date: Apr 3, 2019 8:04 AM
Delays II
Same here.
Commenter: Kamar
Date: Apr 12, 2019 12:35 AM
Delays II
Hey guys - sorry in advance for any possible delay. I'll be traveling for the next 3 days and I'll have spotty computer/internet availability. I'll try to finish up my turns on the road, but if I can't I may not get them finished until Sunday/Monday.
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Apr 13, 2019 2:56 PM
Delays II
The same goes for me. I've been busy the entire week, ending in today's fundraiser. Tomorrow, it is, I think. I'm only just now getting the logs.
Date: Apr 14, 2019 5:28 AM
Delays II
Add me to the list. I've actually played about 80% of the turn but will not get a chance to finish up until later this afternoon or early evening. Apologies.
Date: Apr 14, 2019 6:20 PM
Delays II
Am struggling with mine. Am almost done so it will certainly be done tomorrow; but not tonight.

Now posted. Thanks for waiting.
Andy
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Apr 15, 2019 2:54 PM.
Date: Jun 1, 2019 6:41 PM
Delays II
Played about 90% of the turn but will need until tomorrow to finish it up. Sorry guys. I was trying to finish it up before bed but my partner has vetoed that plan lol
Date: Jun 13, 2019 4:23 AM
Delays II
Had a stupid amount of work recently, so apologies to all for the lateness. I have another of Joe's game which I'll get played this morning and then will tackle this one, so hope to have it up later today. Thanks for your patience.
Commenter: maxcolby
Date: Jun 15, 2019 3:37 PM
Delays II--turn not running
I have had some troubles getting the turn to run this morning but will try again this afternoon hopefully. It is possible that I just needed to keep it running longer without interfering with it running.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jun 15, 2019 3:40 PM.
Date: Jun 16, 2019 5:01 AM
Delays II
Hmmm, not good hope there's no problem? Old IT advice: restart machine and try it again :D
Commenter: Will
Date: Jun 16, 2019 7:58 AM
Delays II
I imagine this last turn saw battles with the largest ship count so far in the game.
Date: Jun 16, 2019 3:48 PM
Delays II
That would explain the long-running turn execution. I've noticed the effect during the last few turns when replaying movement logs.
Date: Jun 16, 2019 4:18 PM
Delays II
I blame the people fielding massive fleets...(looks at Will and Joe...)

But seriously, any updates? Maybe ask ekolis if he'd try running the turn for you, he's been on here a long time and even designed an auto-turn process thingy, so he knows his way around the murky mechanics of SE IV more than most.

tbh I can't recall an SEIV game not processing and killing the game, unlike SE5 which is a nightmare.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jun 16, 2019 4:21 PM.
Date: Jun 16, 2019 4:52 PM
Delays II
Me neither.
Date: Jun 16, 2019 7:28 PM
Delays II--up and running!
I was going to ask someone else to try running it but then reset my computer and tried one more time and about an hour later it is done.
Date: Jun 17, 2019 3:24 AM
Delays II
Never (rarely) fails, Joe!
Date: Jun 17, 2019 10:06 AM
battle image
Here is the battle that likely messed things up, in case you are wondering:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsbjavuhsex3nls/big%20battle.PNG?dl=0

As the attacker, you can imagine it didn't go so well with numbers so similar
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jun 17, 2019 10:07 AM.
Date: Jun 17, 2019 10:14 AM
Delays II
As witnessed by that image, proportions have reached a silly size. This is why the option exists to limit ship numbers. You may want to consider that in future games. Learn to build better instead of simply more.
Date: Jun 17, 2019 1:03 PM
Delays II
That's some serious fleet action! Mind if I ask the outcome?
Date: Jun 17, 2019 1:42 PM
Delays II
I was the attacker so in a scale like this it turned out to be inevitable. I didn't anticipate quite such a large defending fleet. That's okay, though. I have more fleets.

Cipher, I am inclined to agree at this point...no more than 2000 ships/bases per person total, perhaps (it is set at 20,000 now). I wonder, if I stocked up a sphere world with weapons platforms, put 1000 fighters in orbit and 150 defensive satellites, how many heavy dreadnaughts would it take to defeat that planet? The number might relate to how many ships an empire should be allowed to have, lest the opponent have an impenetrable fortress.
Edited 2 time(s). Lasted edited Jun 17, 2019 3:49 PM.
Date: Jun 17, 2019 3:58 PM
Delays II
This problem was discussed in a previous game that most of us played in. I think the Stars Swept game, with the changes to the Fusion mod, was partly intended to address the problem of scale in SE IV. Whether it succeeds or not is still open to question as we are probably only reaching the mid-game, where ship numbers typically are not a problem.

I don't like an artificial limit - for the reason that it is artificial. Also, we limit each side to say, 2000 ships then by late-game fleet composition will end up top-heavy, in terms of hull size, something I'm not a big fan of.

A better way is to naturally limit ship numbers (and sizes) by economic considerations. Like I mention above, we've sought to do that with Stars Swept but we can definitely introduce other changes to put the brakes on fleet sizes that can hamper the game by the late-mid period. Ideas:

1. reduction in number of colonisable planets. Difficult to do when using the system maps built into the Fusion mod. Is it doable? Not sure.

2. Increase construction costs - easiest way would be a big bump in the base cost for the hull.

3. Do away with SY expansions, which increases construction times radically and makes heavy warship less attractive.

4. Reduce mining effectiveness.
Date: Jun 17, 2019 5:55 PM
Delays II
Yes, Solomani, you are right about the changes made for that game and I am trying in that game to exploit different sources of mineral income as much as I can to see how well it worked. I have yet to see whether that attempt did work...maybe it did work and we just don't know it yet but I am definitely feeling sympathetic right now to a hard limit as Cipher suggested.

I am also intending to take steps in future games (as in Star Swept which makes most systems inhospitable or as in Knife Fight which just had fewer systems) to reduce the number of colonizable planets--principally by reducing colonizable systems.

I think that increasing hull costs would likely just slow the game. The game would be so much simpler with no space yard expansions--they take so many turns to build but I love increased industrial capacity!
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jun 17, 2019 6:29 PM.
Date: Jun 25, 2019 9:03 PM
Delays II
About 75% done but then had a bunch of work come in this evening. I will finish it tomorrow, likely before midday. Thanks for your patience.

Bit delayed, will need a few more hours I'm afraid.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jun 26, 2019 8:18 AM.
Date: Jul 4, 2019 7:13 AM
Delays II
Probably need a couple extra hours beyond the due date to finish my turn, shouldn't be any longer than that.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jul 4, 2019 7:13 AM.
Date: Jul 11, 2019 3:31 PM
Delays II
I have had some bad family news recently and need to travel down to the South coast this weekend.
I had planned to complete this next turn over the weekend but as I need to leave tomorrow that won't happen. This means I won't be able to complete my next turn until the 17th or 18th of July.

Please bear with me while my turns lag behind the normal schedule.

Andy
Commenter: Will
Date: Jul 11, 2019 7:44 PM
Delays II
Andy, have a good trip. Sorry about bad luck falling on your family. Hope the situation gets better.

Cheers,

Will
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jul 11, 2019 7:45 PM.
Date: Jul 12, 2019 9:54 PM
Delays II
Andy - sorry to hear about the new with your family. Safe travels and take care!