new host seeking advice

[RSS]
Author: JHRPBW2
Date: Jan 23, 2016 4:44 PM
Category: Support
I am setting a SEV game for friends. I've looked through the forums, and have read hosting 101:
http://pbw.spaceempires.net/support/kb/2009/12/hosting-a-game-101
and the summary of auto host
http://pbw.spaceempires.net/support/kb/2009/12/pbw2-autohost-script

but do not see a good place to go to answer a couple of questions. Could someone point me in the right direction or offer your wisdom?

1. Does auto host require me to run a program 24/7 on my home PC?

2. I'm not really clear on the difference between using the auto host (with PBW2 set to Manual and running without auto host with PBW2 set to run After Last Player Upload Only (APLU).

Also, i see lots of great looking ship sets for SEV here:

http://pbw.spaceempires.net/shipsets?q=type:se5

Do these work well? I don't want to get 20 turns in, with all the time my players devoted, only to find that we have a game killing bug. :)

If they do work reliably, how do I install them? Does each player need to install all the ship sets being played by any player in a game?

Many thanks in advance!

Replies

Commenter: ekolis
Date: Jan 23, 2016 7:11 PM
new host seeking advice
The autohost requires you to run the program constantly, or at least frequently enough that it can do its work in a timely fashion without holding up the players too much. Probably easier to run it constantly :)

The autohost won't do anything if the game is set to manual, and the other options (ALPU/timed/auto) won't work unless you're using the autohost.

I've never heard of a shipset causing a bug in the game. I suppose if someone created a shipset with no component slots, then the user of the shipset would be unable to design ships, but why would anyone do that?

SE5 requires the host to have a copy of every shipset being used by a player in the game. The other players aren't required to have all the shipsets, but if they don't, then of course they won't see the right shipsets in game.

Installing a shipset is simple. For the vast majority of shipsets out there, you just put the archive file in your SE5\Empires folder, then extract it in place. This will create a folder with the name of the shipset, which contains all the shipset files. There might be a few shipsets out there that need you to manually create the folder, then extract into the folder you created, but I haven't run into any of those in a long time.
Commenter: JHRPBW2
Date: Jan 24, 2016 11:00 AM
new host seeking advice
Thanks so much for your helpful reply. Much appreciated!

I have two remaining questions.

1. I cannot see how to add a ship set. I downloaded this one and unzipped it into the SE5/Empires folder (so its folder sits there now, next to the existing foleders (Abbidon, Amonkrie, etc.) but when I try to start a new game, the ship set does not show up as a choice --I just get the default choices. Do I need to do something more to activate the ship set?

http://pbw.spaceempires.net/shipsets/SE5/kushan

2. I am not always able to run the autohost.exe, because I use my computer for various things. Is it safe to assume that the PBW2 web site will let players upload their turns and that when I do activate autohost, it will download and process the turns appropriately (e.g., even if the usual (say 48 hour) clock has passed) rather than running the turn (based on the clock having passed) without first checking to see if there are files to be downloaded?

I assume so, but don't want to discover the opposite by surprise after players have devoted time to the game.

And, does PBW2 or autohost keep some kind of backup, in case of a bug?]

Thanks again!
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Jan 24, 2016 2:22 PM.
Commenter: Fyron
Date: Jan 24, 2016 8:27 PM
new host seeking advice
PBW2 maintains the files for the previous 5 turns of the game, and will let you roll back as needed.

When you start the autohost, it will get the list of all the games that are ready for processing, no matter how over-due, and start working on them. The PBW2 site itself will never do anything with turn files when the turn timer expires.
Commenter: JHRPBW2
Date: Jan 25, 2016 9:33 PM
new host seeking advice
Thank you, Fyron. I really appreciate the help.