Mod feedback

[RSS]
Author: ekolis
Date: Oct 13, 2016 7:50 PM
Category: White Dwarf 2
Once more unto the breach... :)

So, moons. There's already an issue with the FQM moons breaking homeworld placement. Personally, though, I think moons in general are annoying. They make it hard to spot colonies (and colonizable planets) on the map, because they're hidden behind their parent planets. And they can also lead to exploits with training facility stacking...

Replies

Commenter: bearclaw
Date: Nov 8, 2016 3:23 PM
Mod feedback
Refraction Armor and Stealth armor give a different type of cloak. One give EM Active, the other gives EM Passive. There is a cloak for each sensor type in DN4. That way, just because you've got good Hyper-Optics, doesn't mean you will detect all the cloaks that might be out there.
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Nov 9, 2016 1:38 PM
Mod feedback
Oh cool :) But don't the standard cloaking devices give all five types? And what are the specialized cloaks for the other three sensor types?

Wait, maybe you're misunderstanding how cloaking works... So if you have a level 2 passive cloak from your stealth armor, then a level 3 passive sensor (hyper optics) will detect you, even if you have high level cloaks in all the other types... is this what you intended?

I went to look up the tech requirements for Arcologies (hey, cities are OP!) and was planning on suggesting a change to them, but it looks like you already made that change - applied political science and planet utilization sound perfect! I guess construction could possibly replace planet utilization, but then construction already has so many other unlocks... thanks for fixing it! :D

Why do PD lasers require energy pulse weapons tech? They're described as beams... shouldn't they require energy stream weapons? Since projectile weapons already have two specialty PD weapons, maybe one of them could be repurposed to a pulse weapon - say, Autocannons could become PD Blasters? Or is this an intentional specialization to make projectile weapons useful throughout the game?
Date: Nov 9, 2016 4:14 PM
Mod feedback
Cloaking/Sensors: Almost. Sensors override cloak. So a level 2 EM Passive sensor will see through a level 2 EM Passive cloak.

and yes, that is exactly what I intended. If you want a ship that is undetectable by anyone, you will need to place 5 different cloaking components on the ship. One that works for each type of sensor/cloak.
Date: Nov 10, 2016 5:17 PM
Mod feedback
Probably mentioned this numerous times before, but it would be nice if the various racial components/facilities weren't segregated (make Space Empires great again? :P) in their own individual categories. For instance, the Chronotron Viewer could go into Population Support, rather than Temporal, so it's easier to find and you don't have to scroll around to decide whether to build that or the Urban Pacification Center.

Wait, why is the plain old UPC cheaper and equally effective?! And the description of the Temporal Visualization tech says it uses "time partials"... you mean "portals"? ;) Unless you're talking about some mathematical term like partial integrals!
Commenter: Cipher
Date: Nov 11, 2016 10:53 AM
Mod feedback
I suppose I've been making assumptions all along about what "passive" and "active" mean when it comes to scans and cloaking in this game. Can you guys clear this up for me?
Date: Nov 11, 2016 12:15 PM
Mod feedback
there are several flavors of scanning/cloaking:
-EM Passive
-EM Active
-Gravitic
-Temporal
-Pyschic

Each type of sensor can only see through its matching type of cloak. All ships, units and colonies (except mines) have a default sensor strength of LV1 EM Passive and EM Active, which will see through level 1 EM Active and Passive Cloak. So to do anything, any cloaking device has to have MINIMUM of level 2 Active and Passive cloak.

In Stock, there is no actual difference to any of these except for how you research the sensors, but many mods, include DN4 have tried to utilize the different flavors to do something interesting with the options.
Date: Nov 11, 2016 1:40 PM
Mod feedback
Hmm, I can get a Mineral Miner City III with only Arcologies 2 and Minerals Extraction 2... shouldn't I need Minerals Extraction 3?

I'm still not sure if hybrid colony modules should be so bulky... Their only purpose is to reduce micromanagement, right?
Commenter: berendtium111
Date: Nov 11, 2016 9:53 PM
Mod feedback
Hybrid colonies can also make colonization of newly created planets more efficient. You can build a ship with a hybrid colony module in anticipation of creating a new planet and not have to worry what type of planet gets created. This potentially saves a turn between creation and colonization.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Nov 12, 2016 11:59 AM.
Date: Nov 24, 2016 10:33 AM
Mod feedback
Probably mentioned this already, but it seems silly that irradiated planets are better for domed colonies than undomed - doesn't make much sense that none-breathers couldn't just build a dome if everyone else can do it for free! Dunno if that was part of the plan to balance atmospheres though...

I wonder if ultra-recyclers and resource converters should be unlocked via Recycling Technology? Or might that be confusing?

I would like it if the "low supply" threshold were set to zero (or maybe even -1); that way you could set ships with low supplies to sentry. The threshold doesn't otherwise serve much purpose; it's easy enough to glance at a ship's supply bar! Might be useful on the ship list but I don't usually use that...
Date: Nov 24, 2016 8:16 PM
Mod feedback
It appears that the "low supply" threshold's only effect is to prevent putting the ship on sentry. This might have been intended in the original design?
Date: Nov 25, 2016 4:34 PM
Mod feedback
Makes no sense why you'd want to prevent that, though...
Date: Nov 25, 2016 8:24 PM
Mod feedback
In NewMod, I changed Irradiaded planets to be the same for breathables or non. Something I haven't changed yet in DN4.

Recyclers: good idea

Low Supply: not a bad idea. I'm curious if anyone else has a "use" for the way low supply displays and affects ships? if not, then that's a good idea to change too.
Date: Dec 2, 2016 5:19 AM
Mod feedback
You said that stealth armor is for blocking EM active sensors, right? Why doesn't higher level stealth armor block higher level sensors, like refraction armor does for EM passive sensors?
Date: Dec 2, 2016 8:47 PM
Mod feedback
Because there is a different type of cloak for higher levels of EM Active cloaking. Stealth armor is just intended as a simple, low level cloak.
Date: Dec 5, 2016 10:54 PM
Mod feedback
Light Satellite Mount - The description says -30% accuracy (minus). But it looks like it is actually +30% accuracy, which makes more sense.
Date: Dec 6, 2016 12:08 AM
Mod feedback
Oops. Noted
Date: Dec 11, 2016 2:14 PM
Mod feedback
Dreadnought Shell Mount is misspelled ("dreadnaught").

What happened to the large/heavy/massive ship mounts? Are they gone or do I need to unlock them somehow? Placing 20 regular sized guns on a ship is rather tedious ;)
Date: Dec 11, 2016 3:19 PM
Mod feedback
If you have dreadnought because you found it at a ruins, I think you still need to research Ship Construction in order to get the accompanying mounts. There is also the High Energy Focus mount which is unlocked with Physics 3 and Military Science 3.
Date: Dec 12, 2016 12:40 PM
Mod feedback
High level Alpha Wave Inhibitors (and related psychic racial weapons?) might be OP; a heavy base mount (100kT) on a level 4+ weapon can permanently disable one ship's weapons if it hits since the damage is greater than the reload time! The range is rather short so I suppose it might not be all that bad, though... if you do want to nerf them, how able giving them a constant damage of 2 or so (maybe even 1 since there are even heavier mounts), but extend their range as they level up? That is assuming they don't stack - does getting hit with weapons already disabled extend the wait time?

There are other things I would bring up but I know I've mentioned them already! ;)
Date: Dec 13, 2016 2:29 AM
Mod feedback
Military Theory 3 appears to grant no new abilities, facilities, components, mounts, etc., either alone or in combination with other tech advances.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Dec 13, 2016 2:36 AM.
Date: Dec 14, 2016 10:00 AM
Mod feedback
Where did Hyper Optics go?
Date: Dec 14, 2016 6:34 PM
Mod feedback
There is a separate tech area (EM Passive, I think it's called) for Hyper optics now. Off the top of my head, I can't recall how to unlock it.

As for the military theory 3, that's very possible. I actually think there are a few theoretical tech levels that don't grant anything here and there....
Date: Dec 15, 2016 12:10 AM
Mod feedback
For Hyper Optics, you need Advanced Military Science 4 and EM Sensors 1. To get EM Sensors, you need Sensors.
Date: Dec 15, 2016 8:14 AM
Mod feedback
When I put advanced military science in the research cue, it lists the result as "none." And I don't see it in the tech tree anywhere. Guess I'd better have another look at sensors.
Edited 1 time(s). Lasted edited Dec 15, 2016 8:16 AM.
Date: Dec 15, 2016 8:24 PM
Mod feedback
Theres also an excel file the mod (in the Mod Info Files folder) that gives a lot of information about additions and changes.

You need to research EM Sensors 1 AND Advanced Military Science 4 to get Hyper Optics.
Date: Dec 26, 2016 8:33 PM
Mod feedback
Phased Sulfide Cannon

Why do only levels IX and X of this weapon NOT skip normal shields?

Also, level VI is better than level VII because level VI size is 30kT whereas level VII size is 40kT. The increase in damage output does not make up for this. That is, damage/size is 2.9 for level VI but only 2.475 for level VII. The range at level VII is one more than at level VI, though. Things are similar in the jump from level III to level IV. Level X still looks like the best deal if you don't mind losing the "skips normal shields" ability.
Date: Dec 27, 2016 2:43 AM
Mod feedback
Huh... no idea what I was doing when I did that...
Noted.
Date: Dec 27, 2016 5:21 PM
Mod feedback
Why does the heavy capital ship missile have a shorter range than the regular CSM?

Tom pointed out components that grow in size as they level up; this is a bad idea IMO because it makes upgrading designs a nuisance. Remember the level 1 shields from stock? ;)
Date: Dec 28, 2016 11:04 AM
Mod feedback
Hmmm. Being a non-modder, this is the first time I've noticed that you were bothered by nuisance value.
Date: Dec 28, 2016 11:26 AM
Mod feedback
"Nuisance value"?