Is this game dead or something

[RSS]
Author: ekolis
Date: Feb 9, 2016 1:52 PM
Category: We Shall Fight In The Shade
No new turns in 3 months... :(

Honestly I was getting kind of fed up with the crazy warp points everywhere... made it hard to see how to get anywhere!

Replies

Commenter: MageKing17
Date: Feb 10, 2016 7:55 AM
I could email razorts to see if there's an interest in continuing, but honestly I'd rather get a new version of Eclipse out there and start a new game with it instead (if anybody wants to help me with some prerelease testing, I can email you my current progress, but I'd rather not start an official game until I'm sure there aren't any silly bugs in the current version).

Alternatively, if anyone wants to suggest a rebalanced propulsion scheme, it could still make it into 1.02 instead of being deferred to 1.03. ;)
Commenter: ekolis
Date: Feb 10, 2016 7:51 PM
Hmm, what was wrong with propulsion again? Apart from warp point chaos, of course! Been so long since I played this mod...
Commenter: MageKing17
Date: Feb 19, 2016 1:39 PM
Ridiculously easy to get ships with speeds of over a hundred, that was the problem.
Date: Feb 20, 2016 2:54 AM
At least speed is capped at 30 in simultaneous games... adding more engines just wastes supplies ;)
Commenter: Kumquats
Date: Feb 29, 2016 7:13 AM
I was frustrated by the warp point mechanic personally. I think it's a SE4 design limitation though. Unless you create the maximum of 10 warp points in a system then anyone can warp to any system at any time. I had never encountered that before. There is no counter to it either so strategically not doing it as fast as possible puts you at an unmitigable disadvantage to anyone who does. I did have compressor beams tech so theoretically any of my ships could close them as fast as they were opened, but I understand that how SE4 processes turns even in a simultaneous game some ships could slip through? I also didn't realize that treating it as a land rush and getting AI to surrender was so very critical. With the amount of industrial capacity that you can cram into a single world and the investments involved to do so, getting an AI to surrender the homeworld is overwhelmingly powerful. My first non homeworld colonized planet I made a straight research planet, medium sized I think 60 slots, and it took until ~turn 80 to get it to full building capacity. I love how the worlds are set up, that it took a long time to develop them and that long buildup payed off, but as a corollary the AI surrenders way to easy so the objective in the early game becomes getting as many homeworlds as you can and hoping you have more than the next player by the time that they're all gobbled up. Judging by the tech tree and standard E4 doctrine once they're all gobbled up is the 'mid-game' and if you don't have within 1-2 home worlds of the leader going into the midgame then the leader just pulls away from the pack too quickly.
Commenter: dirtbag
Date: Feb 29, 2016 3:34 PM
i also strongly disliked the warp point spammage, and even mentioned this to mageking. Imo its very unbalanced and takes a lot of the strategy of the game away. When the enemy can hit anywhere at any time, it basically comes down to who pulls the trigger first in the right way, he will win.

Even after the initial Eneron onslaught, I still managed to survive. But that was more based on that the Enerons didn't make a full push for my remaining worlds, than that it was that i was legitemately stalemating the fight.
Date: Feb 29, 2016 7:53 PM
Funny how we're all complaining about warp point spam, but all the folks at the MOO16 forums on Steam are complaining about the *addition* of warp points which restrict travel as opposed to the free FTL travel from the previous MOO games! ;)
Commenter: Kumquats
Date: Mar 3, 2016 12:00 PM
I felt the mechanic was very well balanced in the original MoO games because of the range limitations. Yes, you had free movement, but only in a range that your logistics tech could support, which limited your expansion to corridors dependent on galaxy topology. I feel switching to warp points is a co pout for the developers rather than trying to balance the more complex play option of free travel. And as much as I enjoyed the original MoO games and would love to see their return to glory, I'm not holding my breath.

How is FrEee coming along?
Date: Mar 12, 2017 10:12 AM
FrEee is... not coming along. I've reached the point once again where it's just too much for me to handle... :(
Date: Aug 31, 2018 5:55 PM
Hmm... FrEee is coming along again :) Go check it out! https://bitbucket.org/ekolis/freee/src/default/