technical difficulties

[RSS]
Author: dirtbag
Date: Jun 7, 2021 1:01 AM
Category: Crown of 12 Stars
Hey folks,

I'm running into some technical difficulties preventing me from running the turn:
0024:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0024:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0024:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "comctl32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
0024:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\syswow64\\start.exe" failed, status c0000005
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 1280)
All monitored processes have exited.
Exit with returncode 1280

====

I have tried to fix the wine prefix I was using, but even a complete reset of the prefix has not helped. Probably the upgrade to a new distro version broke something. Most of my other prefixes still work fine (civ4, distant worlds, etc).

So just run the turn without me (as I try some more stuff because clearly there is an issue with a dependency). If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to bow out. Bowing out will anyways eventually happen, only it'll be 10 to 20 turns sooner than I had expected it to happen :)

Replies

Commenter: TheCulture
Date: Jun 7, 2021 6:28 AM
technical difficulties
Eeek! Whoosh.... straight over my head.
Andy
Commenter: maxcolby
Date: Jun 7, 2021 9:04 AM
technical difficulties
We will proceed. I hope you are able to figure it out.
Commenter: dirtbag
Date: Jun 9, 2021 5:11 PM
technical difficulties
No luck so far, even after a clean reinstall. Pretty confident the distro update broke something. Been trying all my other prefixes, and noticed a few others also running into similar issues. Especially older software and ones running less frequently used libraries (SOTS2 for example).
Commenter: Will
Date: Jun 9, 2021 7:59 PM
technical difficulties
Best bet is to take an older PC, running a Windows Operating System that does not have the release update that broke your system. You can also always create a partition on your existing system if the hard drive is large enough and install another operating system. If you have a system backup, just restore from the last good backup point. Two other options, back up your data off of your system, ensure you have all you apps on CD Rom, DVD, or network storage and reformat your hard drive and rebuild your system from the ground up. Make sure you have all the serial numbers and user codes.

Remember, never give up, never surrender......, final option is to borrow a family members PC and do not give it back until the game is over.

Cheers,

Will
Date: Jun 11, 2021 1:34 PM
technical difficulties
Well, I don't run windows. So that's where things get tricky first. Might try installing windows in a VM, but that'd just be too much hassle for me for the 20-30 turns that i'd last while being attacked by a superior enemy :) As I said, just continue with the turns as is.
Commenter: maxcolby
Date: Jun 11, 2021 8:41 PM
technical difficulties
I hate to lose you in the game but we will proceed.
Commenter: Khizlek
Date: Jun 14, 2021 6:47 PM
technical difficulties
One of two ideas: Either we have someone else take over the empire proper, or Maxcolby could take it over & just submit a fake turn so the game will process.
Date: Jun 16, 2021 9:46 AM
technical difficulties
well, you'd have lost me anyways in a not too long time lol. I'm seriously outclassed in combat ^^